Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Sponge Cake Question

anon

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 5:32 pm
I want to make Strawberry Shortcake, and people recommend making sponge cake in two round pans and then putting them together with cream and strawberries.

Question: Doesn't sponge cake need to be made in a tube pan? Will it come out OK if I make it in a regular pan?

TIA

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 6:01 pm
I always make it in disposeable tin pans ... I can cut them off the cake ... works excellent ... ENJOY!!!

bashinda

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 10:25 pm
I make them usually in loaf pans. Another idea is to cut the cake horizontally (not that I've ever tried this mind you so cake pros any tips here?) and put the cream in the middle.

anon

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 11:13 pm
I'm too scared to try to cut a cake horizontally...something tells me I'll mess it up Wink

I was just concerned that a sponge cake would flop if not baked in a tube pan. But it seems you guys are saying it's fine, so I guess I'll give it a try!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 11:21 pm
I made it with yellow cake (duncan hines) and I get RAVES about it! I even made it on Pesach with those instant cakes in the boxes! People said it was the best pesach cake they ever had and they buy those $60+ cakes in the fancy bakeries.

anon

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 11:25 pm
Well now I want to make sponge cake because it's light and fluffy. I'll be serving it as dessert after the shabbas meal, so I don't think a heavy cake would be a good idea after a big meal.

Are the pesachdik cake mixes gebrokst or non-gebrokst?

(non-gebrokst = more machmir, don't eat matzoh meal...just clarifying cuz ppl often get confused btw the two and then there's confusion)

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 11:31 am
to cut a cake ... use a thread wrap around the cake evenly - then tie it and as you tighten the tie it will start cutting through cake ... voila

also you can put in blueberries, strawberries, kiwis to make it more exciting ...

when whipping cream add a little vanilla and confectioners sugar ... much tastier ...

anon

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 12:14 pm
greenfire wrote:
to cut a cake ... use a thread wrap around the cake evenly - then tie it and as you tighten the tie it will start cutting through cake ... voila

also you can put in blueberries, strawberries, kiwis to make it more exciting ...

when whipping cream add a little vanilla and confectioners sugar ... much tastier ...

thanks green! Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 12:16 pm
angel food cake is light also. and shehakol.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 12:58 pm
my pesach sponge cakes are totally different ... and shehakol ... than the rest of the year ...

also you can make more than one layer ... a recipe will fit in 2 pans ... cut them both in half and put the dif fruit in dif layers ...

you can also dip strawberries in chocolate ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins