Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is it dangerous....?
1  2  Next

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:48 pm
....to leave a gas oven on over shabbos? I have a fear of leaving appliances on I've shabbos- could this be dangerous?
Thanks

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:50 pm
It could be dangerous if the fire goes off. Then the oven will release of carbon monoxide. But if that happens, you can turn off the oven on shabbos (I'm pretty sure; probably with a shinui).
I'm sure it's not ideal to leave it on though...

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:53 pm
Okay thanks. Another question: does anyone have any idea what the safest way to heat food over shabbos is?
Because since that fire in Brooklyn I haven't served hot food on shabbos. I've only had guests Friday now but now I'm having unavoidable guests and I dont know what to do.
(Maybe this should be under 'emotional health'!)

SYA

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:54 pm
If you're going to leave on an oven, leave a kitchen window open a bit to let in oxygen, and test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working.

SYA

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:55 pm
Use a crock pot/ slow cooker for cholent. All other foods serve cold.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:57 pm
do you mean that you want to leave your oven on or your stove?

What so you want to serve?

Many people use a crock pot for chulent and heat things on top of the pot cover.

You cannot put things in the oven on shabbos.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:02 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
do you mean that you want to leave your oven on or your stove?

What so you want to serve?

Many people use a crock pot for chulent and heat things on top of the pot cover.

You cannot put things in the oven on shabbos.

(Hey you have my avatar!)

I know you can't put things in the oven on shabbos. The top gets really hot and I could use it as a hotplate.
Are crockpots safe to stay on so long?

I'll be serving cholent and kugel and a sweet kugel and schnitzel. Sweet kugel and schnitzel can be cold.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:05 pm
Oops I thought you meant stovetop.
Oven should be safe- put it in shabbos mode and make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working, just to be on the safe side.
I use a hot plate on a timer ever since the tragedy.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:06 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Oven should be safe- put it in shabbos mode and make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working, just to be on the safe side.

That's a great idea! I should do that too

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:11 pm
I dont think my oven has a shabbos mode

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:12 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
(Hey you have my avatar!)

I know you can't put things in the oven on shabbos. The top gets really hot and I could use it as a hotplate.
Are crockpots safe to stay on so long?

I'll be serving cholent and kugel and a sweet kugel and schnitzel. Sweet kugel and schnitzel can be cold.

no --you have mine lol! LOL

Millions of people are eating chulent from a crock pot each shabbos! I would assume that is more safe than leaving on the oven since there is no carbon monoxide. You were going to keep your chulent in the oven till shabbos lunch? I've heard of that but never tried it myself.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:13 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
I dont think my oven has a shabbos mode

I use shabbos mode for Fri. night. I don't think you can set it to shut off so many hours later the next day.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:17 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
no --you have mine lol! LOL

Millions of people are eating chulent from a crock pot each shabbos! I would assume that is more safe than leaving on the oven since there is no carbon monoxide. You were going to keep your chulent in the oven till shabbos lunch? I've heard of that but never tried it myself.

I just checked when you joined and you were here before me so I guess you win. Sigh! Wink
I was going to keep the oven on, put foil on top and have my cholent there all shabbos- it gets really hot.
I guess I should just use a crockpot or a timer. Thanks

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:19 pm
Crockpots are one of the only appliances designed to be kept on for long periods of time.

tf

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:27 pm
The story in Brooklyn happened with an old hotplate that the wires were loosened with age. Stoves are dangerous if the flame turns off, which can be prevented by making sure there's no wind blowing the flames out causing carbon monoxide. Soo,
1- the windows in the room of the blech should only be open on top, so it doesn't blow the flame out.
2- check whether the flame is on after the blech is in place because the blech may create a blow to the flame.
3- don't put the flame on hi
4- check hotplate or crock pot wires for loose or unstable wiring.
5- have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in place.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:30 pm
Thanks everyone. I've come to the decision to use a crackpot.
Can't believe I sound like a newlywed!!

thanks

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 12:03 am
Your oven may have a timer even if it does not have shabbos mode. You can set the oven to go off after the meal.

Or you could warm up the food in the oven, turn it off before shabbos, and keep the door closed. Stays pretty hot for the Friday nite meal. You just need to keep the oven light on, or take the bulb out so there is not issue when opening the door.

I heat my soup in a pressure cooker and turn it off before shabbos. The boiling point is much hotter in there, so it's still very hot when the meal begins.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 12:15 am
allthingsblue wrote:

Thats what I always did. I dont like a blech. My mother burnt her kitchen wall twice. I had all the grandkids (busy yom tov. Both times) out thw door and the fire out right as the fire department walked in. The blech melted the knobs and so it was lowered onto the fire. Waaaay to close to the fire so the fire started jumping oit the sides amd cought onto the formica counters and formica back splash. No blech in my house. Ever.
We use a Gridle (used as a hot plate) with a timer.
At one point 5 years ago we did crock pot with a timer too. But then the second one broke and I wasn't worried about it. They are designed to be on for long periods of time.
Crockpot is your best bet.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 12:34 am
pointyshoes wrote:
Thanks everyone. I've come to the decision to use a crackpot.
Can't believe I sound like a newlywed!!

Crackpot:

Crockpot:

Choose wisely.

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 12:35 am
WhatFor wrote:
Crackpot:

Crockpot:

Choose wisely.

Rolling Laughter

That was my autocorrect doing its job