Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
No-bake apple "something"

avimom

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 6:42 am
I'd like to bake with my class for Rosh Hashana- something with apples. However, I have no access to an oven (we do have a microwave?!?). Anyone have any ideas/recipes? I tried searching the internet but came up with nothing...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 6:51 am
you can make baked apples in the microwave. otherwise, you can only make cold things like a waldorf salad, etc.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 6:58 am
make candy/caramel apples ... fun ... simple ... appley ... and can melt whatever in the microwave ...

avimom

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 12:45 pm
thanks, I was really looking for something more hands on for the kids...

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 1:13 pm
my mother used to make this for me when I was little. if you can bring in a toaster it would be pretty easy.

toast a slice of bread, top with applesauce and cinnamon. easy apple pie Smile

if you could find some fun cookie cutters the kids could use them on the bread before toasting. you could probably try unsweetened apple sauce and add honey to make it more rosh hashana-y? or add some sliced bananas or something. they'd have to wash on it, but it's not total junk food, at least.

avimom

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 3:57 pm
That's a good idea, thanks! I'll try it at home... Maybe use an apple cookie cutter? Really, was hoping for something to send home. ANything else?

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 4:11 pm
You could make mini apple pies or whatever and send it home with baking instructions. The parents shouldn't mind putting it in the oven. And at least that way it won't be eaten before it gets home.

You can make the dough together, and the kids can cut the apples with a plastic knife, and then you can roll out the dough and fill it.

avimom

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 4:14 pm
Do you think the parents will bake it or will they think it's gross after traveling home? Some of the kids have a long bus ride...

YALT

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 4:31 pm
how about a fruit salad? I have a recipe for a real rosh hashana salad. I just had it last week, but now I misplaced it.
If you want the recipe, let me know, and I'll get it again. Basically it's apples, pomegranate seeds, pineapple tidbits, sweetened frozen strawberries, a drop of wine(last minute), (and I think something else, don't remember.)

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 4:36 pm
avimom wrote:
Do you think the parents will bake it or will they think it's gross after traveling home? Some of the kids have a long bus ride...

Why not? do it last thing or refrigerate it. If you can put it in those mini foil trays it will still look ok.

And if they don't bake it at least they had the fun of doing it. My kids have a great time making intricate challahs in the shapes of people and houses, but they don't always eat them.

chochma73

Post Thu, Aug 16 2007, 5:03 pm
this is a great reciepe I got from good housekeeping a few years ago. just need a micro. and I and my kids love it (DH not really) it is good hot and cold so if the kids don't eat it right away then it is still good for when they come home (even if on the bus a long time).

Quote:

Good Housekeeping Online
Fast-Baked Apples with Oatmeal Streusel
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
INGREDIENTS:
4 large Rome or Cortland apples (about 10 ounces each)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
2 tablespoons chopped dates
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons butter or margarine
1. Core apples, cutting out a 1 1/4-inch-diameter cylinder from center of each, cutting almost but not all the way through to bottom. Remove peel from top third of each apple. Place apples in shallow 1 1/2-quart ceramic casserole or microwave-safe 8-inch square baking dish.
2. In small bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, dates, and cinnamon. Fill apple cavities with equal amounts of oat mixture. (Mixture will spill over tops of apples.) Dot each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
3. Microwave apples, covered, on Medium-High (70% power) until tender, 12 to 14 minutes, turning each apple halfway through cooking time. To serve, spoon cooking liquid from baking dish over apples.

avimom

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 10:40 am
wow, thanks! This looks like a great recipe to do with them! Do you need the dates or can I put something else (such as raisins) in it?? Dates are pretty expensive for a class projects...

chochma73

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 10:52 am
avimom wrote:
wow, thanks! This looks like a great recipe to do with them! Do you need the dates or can I put something else (such as raisins) in it?? Dates are pretty expensive for a class projects...

I didn't realize it has dates in it!!! LOL

I always use raisins, never made it with dates so no problem!

avimom

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 1:31 pm
Thanks tons!! :-)

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 1:42 pm
why arent' the candied apples hands on ... they stick the stick in themselves ... they dip it themselves ... if you want they could also put the stuff in a paper bowl so each of them can have their own melted stuff ... then you can put sprinkles or coconut, or other stuff to decorate ... that all sounds hands on to me ... you can also get plastic bags with twisties that they can glue rosh hashana cut outs onto ... before putting in the ready apple ...

avimom

Post Sat, Aug 18 2007, 7:31 pm
I was thinking of caramel apples- not much measuring or mixing, plus 1)it's hard to find cholov israel caramels and 2) it's dangerous to have the kids near a hot pot, stirring. Don't you have to dip them into boilling stuff? I thiought the teachers would have to do it, and then what did the kids do?
Decorating the bags is a good idea though...

myomi

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 12:37 pm
I like raisins idea,if u make mini apple pies,then u can maybe freeze them in a freezer(all schools should have that,no?)and send them home like that..that way they will not be too icky once the kids arrive home.
as a teacher myself, I think its an excellent project idea!

avimom

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 12:39 pm
Just to add- I tried out the baked apple recipe with my son and nephew and they had a great time! Neither of them ate it :-(, but that doesn't matter!! I tried it myself and thought it was delicious. Looking forward to doing it with my class!

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 3:39 pm
Quote:
I was thinking of caramel apples- not much measuring or mixing, plus 1)it's hard to find cholov israel caramels

You can carmelize sugar and golden syrup too.
Infact I thought that was the way to do it.
Thats how we do for our shul every year, we also use red apples if we cannot find, we add a drop of red food coloring to green ones.

What about a apple cupcake and after they fill apples in a baked tart or cookie pastry cupcake size which I will prepare. Then they can add something inventive, with the sliced apples jelly and choc chips . What

Thats what I plan on doing with my playschool class anyways

avimom

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 7:25 am
Huh? Sorry, I didn't follow that. What are they putting in??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins