Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Charactor school bags.
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 9:25 am
I find this really funny!! ds put I\on the radio he was playing around and suddenly I hear them talking about charactor school bags. they were saying something like "does it really bother you if you have a mickey mouse school bag and you still put sifrei kodesh in it??!!" etc and other things along the line.. don't remember now. I found it quite amusing cuz this ds has a thomas the tank engine school bag!! what do you think??

btw I think they were referring to young age and thinking aboput the charactors all the time. well it makes my ds feel good so why not...

forgot to mention it was not a religious station....

chen

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:15 am
I see nothing wrong with a child carrying a cartoon character school bag, even with sifrei kodesh in it, although I probably wouldn't cover a sefer with a cartoon-character bookcover. I also wouldn't davko look for cartoon character accessories the same way I don't encourage designer clothing and accessories in older people. But if the toon designs are on sale and the plain ones are not, toons it is...Depends on the toon, of course. The Little Mermaid and Pocahontas have to be altered with ye olde faithful permanent black magic marker.

What I find inappropriate is cartoons, sports teams logos and the like on Yarmulkas and Tzitzis.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:46 am
I would not buy such a thing for a child in our schools.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:58 am
I think they're cute ... however, never sturdy ... the jansport ones last for several years while the cutsy cartoons last for 1/2 the year ...

shoy18

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 12:29 pm
Im not into this character craze, nothing I buy has characters on them, I dont buy figurines either.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 12:42 pm
chen wrote:
I see nothing wrong with a child carrying a cartoon character school bag, even with sifrei kodesh in it, although I probably wouldn't cover a sefer with a cartoon-character bookcover. I also wouldn't davko look for cartoon character accessories the same way I don't encourage designer clothing and accessories in older people. But if the toon designs are on sale and the plain ones are not, toons it is...Depends on the toon, of course. The Little Mermaid and Pocahontas have to be altered with ye olde faithful permanent black magic marker.

What I find inappropriate is cartoons, sports teams logos and the like on Yarmulkas and Tzitzis.

agree with everything

red sea

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 12:52 pm
I have a bigger prob with disney characters in specific on stuff but less with other characters & I have no idea why I see them as diff. But I'm not big into characters on stuff. Maybe on pencil cases & pencils but not large ones to wear, unless youre talking pajamas or tiny mickey mouse logos on sweatshirts. And I never go for characters of any sort on judaica items.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 12:55 pm
The school here asked parents not to use superheroes designs on backpacks, etc. because they want kids to see jewish characters as heroes not what media presents.

gryp

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 1:04 pm
I don't buy them. Even if I did, my kids would have no clue. Oh, I did buy a Thomas toddler blowup bed for travelling, my kids call it the choo-choo train bet'ele. And someone gave us Thomas pajamas for a present and we have a Thomas puzzle. Rolling Eyes Well, at least it's better than treife animals.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 1:30 pm
GR wrote:
Oh, I did buy a Thomas toddler blowup bed for travelling, my kids call it the choo-choo train bet'ele. And someone gave us Thomas pajamas for a present and we have a Thomas puzzle. Rolling Eyes Well, at least it's better than treife animals.

DS says that Thomas the Train Engine is a Yushke show, the kind that's very subtle.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 1:35 pm
that is crazy ... Thomas is cute ... and a good train Wink ...

workingallthetime

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 2:58 pm
kid # three is off to school with a bob the builder back pack bought 5 years ago for Kid #1. #2 just outgrew it, and I was hoping #3 didnt throw a fit b/c its not pink. she was so excited to have a backpack to take to school, she didnt realize it was girlie, and that its not brand new....to her this is her new back pack and she loves it. surprised it has held up this well. it is still in great shape!

gryp

Post Sat, Aug 18 2007, 8:51 pm
It doesn't matter who Thomas is, it's not Thomas in my house, it's choo-choo train.
I see now that the kids training toothpaste also has Thomas on it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 18 2007, 10:58 pm
GR wrote:
It doesn't matter who Thomas is, it's not Thomas in my house, it's choo-choo train.

I didn't have television for my kids, but when we visited family they had it. I didn't worry if they watched cooking shows, for examle, but once my father tried to show the kids Mr. Rogers.

Mr. Rogers - who had a sanitized kiddie show - who was also an ordained priest.

I said, I didn't need my kids watching a priest show. My father said, it's a kiddie show.

You understand what I'm driving at, GR?

imaamy

Post Sat, Aug 18 2007, 11:40 pm
Ruchel I agree. Why make a kippa look like a baseball? I always thought it was goofy.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:07 am
chocolate moose-

mr rogers was not an ordained priest. he was a presbyterian minister. granted, he was a member of the clergy in a different religion, but his show actually encouraged very important family values that I wouldn't trust a priest to teach a child. a priest is not allowed to have his own family. mr rogers' role in a children's show was actually as an educator (I believe he had more than one degree in education) and I have always respected him for keeping his show completely clean while discussing things such as divorce or the death of a pet that other kiddie shows would not go near. if today's shows were anywhere near as well done as mr rogers' neighborhood, I might let my kids watch tv at their grandparents' house. and no, he never had any reference to religion on his show. I grew up with it, and frankly, I find that sesame street is way more detrimental to my child's development, mentally and spiritually.

I am not arguing your decision not to allow your child to watch mr rogers. I just want you to understand your father's reaction to it. mr rogers was primarily a children's advocate. he did a lot of good for so many children without bringing religion into the picture, and anyone who has watched the show as a kid would not ever associate religion with mr rogers. so I understand that you don't want your child learning morals from a presbyterian minister, but may I ask why you are ok with the same child learning to make shrimp in wine sauce from julia child and jacques pepin? (this is just for discussion, btw, I grew up on cooking shows as well. I don't have a tv in my own home, but if I'm in a hotel I flip to the cooking channel.)

I'd love to hear your comments.

mimivan

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:14 am
MIL just bought my son a Superman backpack. She was so happy that she found something without non-kosher animals on it. Confused We don't "do" superheroes though. I guess I should paste Tzvios Hashem over it or something else.

I know I am going to get jumped on for "hurting my MIL's feelings" but the gift was very much appreciated, she lives in another city, and probably would not mind if we covered up superman. She probably won't even know about it. And anyway, the main gift was the backpack itself, not the Superman picture.

It was my fault for not making this clear with her in the beginning.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:24 am
I don't usually get character things at all.
Except for Sesame street stuff, which my son loves. He grew up wearing Pampers Wink and demanded to know who all the characters were... and now he loves them.

I would never buy any Disney princess anything (I don't have girls, but I mean if I did). Why would you buy a backpack with an image you don't approve of and then vandalize it?

I was just looking at the Children's Place backpacks. They came out with small ones that are just big enough for a folder to fit. They are such good quality. Very light, sturdy, padded, etc. But the only 2 designs are red/black and orange/camo.
I don't like either of them. I was thinking of taking fabric paint to it, but it's just not worth it.

I think benign characters like a train or a bear are fine. I wouldn't get Dora or Sponge Bob or any of those crazy popular things.

mimivan

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:29 am
Gamzu:
Quote:
He grew up wearing Pampers and demanded to know who all the characters were... and now he loves them.

Rolling Laughter

Cute!

Mishie

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 1:22 am
My kids' school asked to not have any characters on School-bags.

My DD (first grader) actually was begging for a "Care-Bears" bag, which was really adorable. and I really see nothing wrong with a couple of cute little bears..... but in the end she changed her mind and got something else. which I was happy about, just because I didn't want to be told I have to go out and buy a whole new bag. (and, mind you, it was quite expensive: 180 shekels!!!)

I'm also not really into all the Spiderman stuff, I think my kids get into kind of a violent mood when they play with those things.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics