Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet Training Advice Please!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 10:53 pm
We are working on training our 3.5 year old son (3rd attempt). He is VERY motivated and really wants to succeed. The issue is that he holds himself in on the potty and won't release. I think it's some kind of mental block that he can't actually "go" while on the potty. He'll hold himself in for hours until he eventually leaks out.
We are working on a timeline since he needs to be trained when preschool starts in September.
Any ideas?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 1:22 am
I usually have them drink tons and then sit them on the toilet and read books or let them play a game on my phone. Until it comes out then they can get the positive attention which they feel great about and of course a reward plus when they need to go again they remember the feeling and won't go last minute because they want that positive attention.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:23 am
Keep in mind that you lose sphincter control when you laugh, for example (why some of us "leak" when laughing...) use it to your advantage!

With one of my kids I'd talk through the process of digestion, which actually often relaxed him enough to let go. With some of them I'd just keep trying to make them laugh (along with lots of drinks and/or prunes of course) to get things moving.

If that's not working either, try having him make in a diaper at first while sitting on the toilet, just to get him used to making in that position. Once he's comfortable with that, have him try without the diaper.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 10:54 am
Thanks for your ideas. Anyone else?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training