Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you give your kids allowance money?|

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 8:26 pm
I started giving my six year old $5 a week in allowance if he does his chores. That means he has to take out the kitchen trash when it is full, set the table before dinner time, and give his younger sister and brother cereal on shabbos morning. B"H I don't need to bribe him to do his homework or go to bed on time. He's pretty good with that. Does anyone else on here give their kids allowance money?

ny21

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:23 pm
I do not give my children allowance money, but I think it is a great idea .

Tefila

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:30 pm
Yes but only when they are way older Confused

rainbow

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:47 pm
$5 for a six year old, whoa! Sounds like a whole lota monies.....

I would give one dollar not more. five dollars when they're like twelve thirteen.
But that's just my opinion.
My kids dont get allowance; when they need something they ask me for money and we discuss. My dd wants a digital camera. She has a choice to buy with her own saved up money or earn it by completing an incentive chart. Not exactly an incentive chart as she is too old for it, but similar idea.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 11:10 pm
Dh likes to buy soda in school, give tzedaka, and put money in his bank account every week. I don't think it's too much when I figure $2 goes to the pushka, $2 goes to buying nosh out of the vending machine and or a slurpee, and $1 goes into the bank. It has really taught him the value of money and the importance of having a bank account. I don't give him the money so he can go squander it.

ruthanne

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 11:53 pm
[quote="rainbow"]$5 for a six year old, whoa! Sounds like a whole lota monies.....

I would give one dollar not more. five dollars when they're like twelve thirteen.
quote]

I tend to agree. My nine year old gets $1.25 and when she turns ten I'm putting it up to $1.50-75. I think thats plenty for the little shmontzen they like to buy.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 5:29 am
If he is really giving $2 to tzedaka, and saving some, than it is not too much. I give my 7 year old €2 (about $3), also dependent on behaviour.

I used to get 20 pence pocket money when I was that age!

chanab

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 7:30 am
with inflation rates, you´re going to be giving him a hefty sum when he´s a teenager. IMO, even if $2 goes to tzedaka I think that is too much for a 5 year old. We don´t give an allowance, but do give for mishnayos/pirkei avos/tanya learned baal peh.

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 7:39 am
I probably will give allowance starting kindergarten age, probably half a shekel... And upping it by half a shekel each year. So first grade 1 shekel, 2nd 1.50, 3rd 2 shekel...
Honestly, I'll give my kids whatever money they need... Allowance is a good idea because then kids feel like the money is "theirs"... but at such a young age, they really don't need much. They can save up their half shekels and buy things. (In the makolet here there are half shekel to one and a half shekel treats.)

Also when kids have money of their own, you can teach them responsibility...
When I was babysitting my niece and nephew and took them to the store and they were reckless and wild there and broke something which we had to pay for, they used their money that they had- a total of 70 agurot or something- to pay for what they broke, and I paid for the rest.
Anyone agree with doing that?

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:06 am
as a kid who grew up w/o allowance I did plan to give my kids allowance ... I tried but didn't quite work out mostly cause I wanted them to earn it with chores and they never seemed to care - then monies became tight ... when we did accomplish a task it was celebrated with the pizza shop or ice cream ... but I also get them what they need and they earn monies for what they want ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 10:21 am
I have. Otherwise it encourages stealing. A kid needs to learn how to budget also.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 10:53 am
I never thought about it. I remember getting $7 when I was about 12 for helping in the house. DS hasn't asked yet, but I'm starting to think it may be a good idea to get him to help a little more around the house. Only problem with him is that as soon as he has any money (ie from the tooth malach or from delivering mishloach manos), he likes me to take him to the dollar store to spend it. I have to teach him to save. He kinda knows about saving because he knows that he has a very large sum of money in his bank account, but knows we are saving that for when he is much much older.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:10 am
I had pocket money as a child and had it until I got married LOL
It started very low, like 1.5 $ a week at 6 or 7, and ended very high, like 700 $ a month. I probably used half and saved half; I suspect my parents may still be giving it to me, but "in my back" on my bank account LOL

I don't plan on giving so much because I don't plan on having an only child, but if c'v it happened, why not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children