Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does your school bus stop at every house on the block?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 10:25 am
Does your or any school bus stop at every second house to pick up the kids?
On my block (bp), four neighbors use one bus. Three on one side and one across the street. The kids get out like twenty mins before the bus come and play together, the moms outside socialize together. Suddenly, the bus comes they all run outside their house, three doors away and expect the bus to make three separate stops, which he does. Meanwhile there's another bus doing the same behind and there's traffic building up. It's "so" annoying. Why can't the kids just wait in the center and go on the bus in one go. The mothers are anyways there watching. Why does the bus need to make stop and jerk. It's annoying for the kids on the bus and the drivers behind. This is unnecessary traffic buildup. Please be considerate to the bus drivers and other drivers and let him do one middle stop. I don't mean one stop per block. But if your neighbors 2 doors away use same bus just join on one stop.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 10:28 am
Is that legal?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:34 am
My son's bus makes door to door stops for preschool and one stop per block for the older kids. Although he is still in kindergarten, I started waiting next to the closest neighbor's house to avoid creating a bigger traffic jam than necessary.
Maybe in the winter it'll be a bit inconvenient but I know the feeling of sitting in a car being stuck behind a school bus making frequent stops.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

madys

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:36 am
We have corner stops - the bus driver can get in trouble for picking up in front of a house instead of the corner

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:40 am
I don't get it either. I get not wanting a corner stop, but when the houses are literally 2 houses away from each other it's really dumb. There should be 3 stops per block, max. 1 at each corner and 1 in the middle.

lfab

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:40 pm
Nope. We actually walk about 2 blocks to get to the bus stop. There is one stop for every few blocks so pretty much each "neighborhood" shares a stop. The stop my kids are at had about 20 girls this past year.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:45 pm
[quote="lfab"]Nope. We actually walk about 2 blocks to get to the bus stop. There is one stop for every few blocks so pretty much each "neighborhood" shares a stop. The stop my kids are at had about 20 girls this past year.[t/quote]

Wow thats hard.
Im curious were you are from

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:49 pm
lfab wrote:
Nope. We actually walk about 2 blocks to get to the bus stop. There is one stop for every few blocks so pretty much each "neighborhood" shares a stop. The stop my kids are at had about 20 girls this past year.

I walk 5.5 blocks to get to the bus stop during the school year.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:51 pm
For whatever reason only the boys have morning busses where I live . When I leave in the morning one corner is a large group going to one school and across the street is another group going to a different school. It has probably 10 or 15 boys waiting there with some parents.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:52 pm
[quote="amother"]
lfab wrote:
Nope. We actually walk about 2 blocks to get to the bus stop. There is one stop for every few blocks so pretty much each "neighborhood" shares a stop. The stop my kids are at had about 20 girls this past year.[t/quote]

Wow thats hard.
Im curious were you are from

Growing up in queens we had that too. And we lived and couldn't wonder when we went to bp and got stuck behind a bus making five stops on one block or ppl complaining about walking to the corner five houses down.
I understand it's easier if you have a baby sleeping inside or are in the middle of cooking things but it also extends the amount of time that kids are on the bus.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:46 pm
The preschool buses make door to door stops. However if the kids live 3 doors apart it's stupid that they have to stop 3 times! I can understand though why the kids tend to go back to their own house for the bus; because there will be times, esp in the winter in rough weather, when they won't be waiting outside for the bus, and if the driver is getting to used to only stopping at one point for all three, two of them might end up missing the bus.
Personally I HATE inconveniencing bus drivers, it's a meshigoss I have since my brother was a bus driver and kept ranting about the entitled mothers. So at this point I actually go around the corner to wait for the bus in the morning (they do drop off at my house in the p.m.) but I told them that when the weather will get cold I won't be able to do that anymore. We'll see what happens then!

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:58 pm
for picking up preschoolers it makes no sense - but for dropping them off it does ... because you have to make sure the kid goes into the house and/or the parent comes out

anyways ... for grade school in cleveland there are corner bus stops - they are specific & not on every block

anything under 2 miles & for 7th & 8th + high school they do carpools or walk or ride bikes

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:44 pm
Interesting to me in my large OOT community. Is preschool bussing a NY only thing? Our bussing does not start until K or pre1a and we pay full price for it. The Nursery kids who stay for extended hours can go home on the bus but that is it. I told DS I wont even think about it until he is in 1st grade between cost and maturity.

MMCH

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 12:50 pm
where I live (queens) there is corner bus stops that the school decides.
Its basically a gathering of a few blocks in both directions at mid point location.
we walk about 2.5 blocks to get there. annoying but thats how its done here.

for camp though, my daughter had door to door service and while I loved it , it caused massive traffic in the morning, and people on my block were not happy!!

sky

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 1:19 pm
greenfire wrote:
for picking up preschoolers it makes no sense - but for dropping them off it does ... because you have to make sure the kid goes into the house and/or the parent comes out

For primary my kid's bus driver will not drop of the child unless there is a parent waiting at the corner - or at leased waiving from a visible location (I've had some nice drivers who will honk a few times if I've forgotten).
I can see stops at every house being a pain, plus making the route longer because besides for stopping often the driver can't take the quickest route at the corner.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:50 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Is that legal?

These are private buses. They are not DOT buses (Dep of Transp). Private buses are allowed to do "door-to-door."

MrsDash

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 3:28 pm
Heaven forbid the children should have to walk more than a few feet. Cardio is for suckers! Banging head
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children