Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help choosing an English name (Emma)

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:35 pm
We are thinking of naming our baby girl, Emma.
The middle name options are as follows.. please let me which you prefer and why.

Emma Alyssa
Emma Joy
Emma Maria

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:09 am
Purely on pronounciation, There is the same sound at the end if Emma and beginning of Alyssa so it is not a fluid sound.

I think of Maria as a variant of Mary. It's probably one of the most common Latina Catholic names. The Italian Catholics go with Marie and the Irish with just plain Mary.

The J sound sounds best after the A ending if Emma. I think vowels and consonants work best together. Emma Joy flows and Emma Alyssa has to much if the same sound if names are said together.

I don't think the end of a first name and beginning of middle name should have the same sound. Of course, I am quite sure someone will post an example of a beautifully alliterative version. 😀😀😬

ROFL

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:26 am
Love Emma joy ! Seems so happy. Don't like Maria at all too Catholic for me !

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:29 am
I think Emma Joy sounds beautiful, but Emma by itself is also a gorgeous name.

Maria just makes me think of the Virgin Mary- I think that's where the derivatives of that name generally come from.

sprayonlove

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 6:31 am
I like Emma Alyssa. Maria is a totally Christian name btw.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:10 am
Emma joy

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 8:34 am
Emma Joy.

Easiest to pronounce, has a nice cadence.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:47 am
I like Emma Joy too..buy for some reason it sounds a little like Almond Joy to me. Maybe that's just the fast talking though... Speechless

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:50 am
I think Emma alone is such a pretty name.

I would never use Maria; like other said, it's so Catholic.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:09 am
Emma is a lovely name as I favor the slightly old fashioned. I melt at pictures of the English royal babies and those dressed like them in slightly old fashioned but not weirdly so clothing. Those cute sturdy shies and tasteful sweaters or jumpers they would I think be called.

However Emmaxwaxthe most popular girls name in America for 2015. For the record, Noah is the most popular boys name. As your daughter grows up, she will be one of many of her age with the same name. Perhaps a variant of Emma like Emmaline would preserve her individuality so she is not Emma S for the rest of her oife

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:19 pm
Does it go with the Hebrew name at all? I like Emma Alyssa for a Hebrew name of Emuna Aliza, for example, but Emma Maria would make more sense to be Emuna Miriam.

I like Emma, Alyssa, Maria, and Joy individually, but I think Emma Joy "sounds" the best together - the others just seem like too many syllables.

(btw, Maria is simply Miriam in Latin. There are Jews named Mary/Marie and probably Maria too although I don't know any)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 3:01 pm
Many older Miriams are Maria/Marie... sorry sorry! even rebbetzins!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names