Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:07 pm
I would let a 14 year old read it, but I'm not very strict about reading material. If you are, you should probably reread it yourself to see if you are OK with your daughter reading it.

octopus

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:22 pm
Yes, please reread before allowing!

Amarante

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:28 pm
I loved the book. I first read it as a child and re-read it recently and it stood up surprisingly well. It has poetic truth as well as literal truth in terms of really portraying life in Brooklyn at the turn of the century.

The movie is a really good adaption of the book. It was directed by Elia Kazan and was a early forerunner of the more naturalistic path films would take after WW II. James Dunn won an Oscar for the role of the father. Although he was a bit old for the part as the characters in the book were really young - I think they were really about 28 when the book opened - there is such amazing chemistry between Dunn and the actress playing the role of Francie, that you really do understand the magical charm the father had on everyone.

What slightly bookish girl doesn't completely identify with Francie in the same way as most identify with Jo in Little Women?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:50 pm
It wasn't required reading, I don't think, but it was on the summer recommended reading list and I probably wrote at least one book report about it. I wouldn't say I identified with the characters, given that where I grew up Irish kids were among those who beat up yeshiva bocherim on the way to the subway, but it was a good read. Inasmuch as I read this in 1967 or 8, I recall very little beyond Francie being reminded not to say "apperntment" when she was looking for a job--not till I got to college did I ever meet anyone who spoke that way--and her claiming that her name was Mary Frances to be able to get a doll that a girl named Mary was giving away to a "poor girl named Mary."

Tree of heaven was used as a metaphor for people who managed to thrive despite adversity, because the tree is exceptionally hardy, does well even in hostile environments, and is almost impossible to kill. However, it is a highly invasive tree that crowds out native species, has roots that can damage building foundations and underground pipes and sewers, has a foul smell, and attracts the destructive spotted lanternfly, another invasive species, that damages many plants and destroys crops.

I have to assume that the author was unaware of the dark side of this species.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:58 pm
On the topic, I recently read some of Betty Smith's lesser known books and boy, are they bleak. Just depressing and pointless, especially Maggie Now. I was going to reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but after reading that one, I've sworn off her books. Lol.

Reality

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:01 pm
I love that book. My daughters read it and loved it too. But I'm not strict about censoring books. If you are, I'd probably skip. There's a chapter that talks about s-x education a la early 1900's style. Also an attempted rape and Francie's aunt is very promiscuous. And at the end of the book Francie contemplates having a one night stand. It's all written way cleaner than a current book but if you are strict....

Reality

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:03 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
On the topic, I recently read some of Betty Smith's lesser known books and boy, are they bleak. Just depressing and pointless, especially Maggie Now. I was going to reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but after reading that one, I've sworn off her books. Lol.

Never read that one. I liked Joy in the Morning.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
No graphic s*x scenes but lots of references to s*x. In one scene, a man exposes himself to a little girl. The scene that stood out to me (I probably first read it at age 11 or 12) was the description of how a woman weaned her 5 year old child who refused to stop breastfeeding. For some reason I found that a bit disturbing.

I read it at about 14 and also found those 2 scenes disturbing.
I've reread it as an adult and I guess because I remember being upset by them then, they still disturb me.

I really like the book and bought myself a copy as an adult.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:19 am
I read the book in elementary school before I started riding the subways to get to school.

I was an easy target for the perverts who knew that young girls would be too embarrassed to make an outcry when they were feeling you up or doing other perverted things in my vicinity. I remember my girlfriend and I were sitting in one of the double seats by the door and looked up to find a well dressed executive tyoe of man with his exposed pen**is in my face. 😱😱

It was then that I remembered her aunt’s advice about carrying a hat pin on the street car. Of course I didn’t have a hat or a hat pin but I couid have borrowed from my Bubbe 😏

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:01 pm
As others said, there are some graphic scenes if you are strict. I am not strict and would allow my 12 and 14 year old sons to read it.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:04 pm
bluesclues wrote:
Hope you can help. I read this book yeasts ago and honestly don’t remember it. Is it appropriate for my 14 year old daughter?

There is some s-x references. The aunt is promiscuous.

It's also a sad, depressing book. A dysfunctional family - father is loving, but an alcoholic
who can't support his family. Mother is hard-working but bitter, hates father, favors the son.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:09 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
As others said, there are some graphic scenes if you are strict. I am not strict and would allow my 12 and 14 year old sons to read it.

I can’t imagine any boy who would be interested in the book. I don’t think it is chick lit but I think its appeal is really in the genre of coming of age for a young girl.

A Separate Peace is much more likely to be appealing to younger boys. Of course it is appealing to both genders as I loved it when I read it when I was young.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room