Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Looking to purchase a new fridge and need help

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 6:21 pm
I'm looking to buy a fridge, I'm debating between a side by side fridge/freezer or the new style french door with freezer on bottom looking for advice which is better ( I do have a big freezer for more freezer room if needed). Thanks

cm

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 6:26 pm
Side-by-side seems so cramped; not just the freezer but the fridge too. I would choose a French-door or traditional top-freezer over a side-by-side.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 6:42 pm
Thanks so much looking for more

MamaBear

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 6:50 pm
I honestly think the old-fashioned top and bottom ones hold the most. Side by side is the worst - nothing fits with that width. French door holds the most on top but then the bottom is like a dumping area.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:59 pm
Bump! Looking for more advice

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:10 pm
Side by side gives you no room on either side.

French door refrigerators give you an amazing amount of space and helps keep things neat. The drawer freezer is very nice but only if you gave an additional freezer besides, otherwise you will be limited. I like mine very much.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:19 pm
I do space planning and kitchen design professionally. In my experience, very few people prefer side by sides to French doors. The openings are simply too narrow for flexible storage options. French door fridges allow full width storage. Think meat on one side and milk on the other. Think deli platters. Or pizzas.

French door fridges and side by sides both stick out into the aisle when the door is open less than standard top or bottom freezer fridges — this is is important when aisle space is limited, as when opening toward an island.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:37 pm
I'm also looking for a new fridge, but we don't have a spare freezer. I do like to freeze a lot, and I'm in and out of my freezer daily... so what type of fridge is best? Right now we have side by side.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
I'm also looking for a new fridge, but we don't have a spare freezer. I do like to freeze a lot, and I'm in and out of my freezer daily... so what type of fridge is best? Right now we have side by side.

Full size upper freezer, bottom refrigerator.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 7:52 am
ra_mom wrote:
Full size upper freezer, bottom refrigerator.

Thanks, I'll check those out!

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 9:19 am
MamaBear wrote:
I honestly think the old-fashioned top and bottom ones hold the most. Side by side is the worst - nothing fits with that width. French door holds the most on top but then the bottom is like a dumping area.

There are more modern looking top bottom. IMO they hold more than the French Door.
With the French Door you can store the Very large pans

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 11:56 am
Wow, these top/bottom freezers seem so small. I have so much more space in my side-by-side. I can't imagine how I would give up so much freezer space Sad

chanee

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 12:17 pm
The newer models in side by side fridge/freezer is made with so much less storing space than the older ones. My mothers fridge who bought her side by side many years ago is so much more spacious than the ones I've seen now. In her freezer a 9 x13 pan fits just nicely on most shelfs. While the fridge section is wider and enough of space for most everything. There's no space taken away for ice maker or other mechanisms. If you can get that type of side by side it would take up less aisle space.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 12:23 pm
chanee wrote:
The newer models in side by side fridge/freezer is made with so much less storing space than the older ones. My mothers fridge who bought her side by side many years ago is so much more spacious than the ones I've seen now. In her freezer a 9 x13 pan fits just nicely on most shelfs. While the fridge section is wider and enough of space for most everything. There's no space taken away for ice maker or other mechanisms. If you can get that type of side by side it would take up less aisle space.

Do you know what model/brand hers is?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics