Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholent-barley disintegrates! Advice please

esther11

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:19 am
We don't make cholent so often, but whenever we do the barley basically disintegrates into nothing. We've tried all different tactics (more or less of different ingredients, bag or no, keeping the crock pot on low the whole time, new crock pot, etc). Any ideas why this is happening or how we can fix it? Please help save our cholent!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:25 am
barley doesn't disintegrate, but it does absorb a lot of liquid. it shouldn't be absent, but cholent barley becomes porridge. is this your issue? that's normal. if you want it less mushy, consider using less water or more barley. if you want it to be separate grains, cook the barley separately and add it to the cholent on your plate. it won't absorb the flavors though.

srbmom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:37 am
I have found a huge difference in which brand of barley I use. I have the best results with Gefen.

esther11

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 12:15 pm
Thanks for the answers!

Basically the barley behaves normally at first, absorbs the liquid etc. by Friday night the cholent looks great and thick and porridge like (which is fine with us!). Then by shabbos day, there is tons of liquid in the crock pot and no discernible barley at all. When I eat other people's cholent, there are usually recognizable barley grains.

Srbmom we've tried many brands but it can't hurt to try Gefen again!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 12:17 pm
I have never seen barley disintegrate, that's fascinating! what time of day do you load the crock pot? what other ingredients do you use?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:42 pm
somehow when I make a smaller chulent then the beans and barley get lost...but if u add more beans and barley or less water it should be ok

tf

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:52 pm
How about adding the barley a few minutes before the beans are totally cooked?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen