Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training boys...sitting or standing? help

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:01 pm
do you toilet train boys sitting or standing? I assume sitting first and then switch to standing.

having trouble keeping his private part in the toilet insert, even though it has somewhat of a deflector.

tips?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:02 pm
Sorry it's gross sounding, but I had my DS learn by peeing in the shower. Not much chance to miss. Later he learned to aim.

I also found that some kids don't do good with the deflector, seems to be anatomical differences.

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:13 pm
Standing. One of the best things dh ever did was teach ds to go standing up from the beginning. It made public restrooms 6000 times less stressful. Get a stool and lots of Clorox wipes and you wont regret it.

gibberish

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:14 pm
We start with sitting and teach to point and aim downwards

mother4

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:37 pm
I have 4 boys and most of them preferred standing. Of course in the beginning I had to be there always to guide. One of them had a problem where pee was always going to side- upright, and turns out his opening was too small and not centered and he had to have it surgically repaired. One visit to pediatrician confirmed it.
When going #2, I have them sit on regular seat and spread legs apart, this way 'it'drops and points downward. By my first I made the mistake of closing legs tight and it always ran out on the seat. I bought special seat insert, but still it smelled from urine, always needed cleaning..so I learned to train directly on seat, no potty, no inserts, and consistent guidance to get it right.
Its no fun and not easy so Good luck on your training!!

losingweight

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:39 pm
Standing. When they stand on my feet it's the perfect height to aim straight into the bowl. My husband only takes them to the bathroom if they stand. He doesn't want any leaking issues.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:11 am
Ds was so excited that he "made a splash!" For a short while that was our code word for urinating.
Since he liked the splash, he aimed well. Now, over a year later, his aim is great, even while half asleep.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 6:58 am
standing [gently holding their buttocks forward for close aim] ... why confuse them

I noticed something funny my niece does ... which hopefully won't turn into a disaster later on ... she pulls off his diaper in the morning and stands him on the seat & aims - yup it works

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:16 am
Personally, I like training sitting because my little ones tend to have poor fine motor control early on, so learning to aim is a bit much for them. They seem to graduate to standing on their own.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:31 pm
My kids are short, so standing is more of a big deal than when they're older. My almost 3 yo uses the regular toilet, sitting, and is able to get it all in easily vs when we tried a seat with our older kids. It also makes it easier to use the bathroom elsewhere as we need no special equipment.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 1:06 pm
sitting down backwards, facing the tank. although the shower sounds like a really good idea
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training