Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Purpose of teaching Gemara?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:03 am
Serious question.

My kids don't like it. None of their classmates seemed to like it according to my kids. The kids act up and show disrespect because they are bored. This behavior rubs off on my kids too. I don't want me kids to be negatively influenced and I also don't want them to learn by rote and take the studies for granted.

Is it that they are too young to appreciate learning it? (ages 10 and 12).

Shouldn't something as abstract as gemara be reserved for adults?

5mom

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:13 am
Yes, Chazal didn't suggest gemara until 15. (Of course, they also suggested marriage at 18...) The problem is that no school wants to admit that their students aren't ready for abstract thinking when other schools are teaching gemara already.
I just recently saw the Maharal about teaching kids. He was upset that boys were being taught Gemara and tosfos as the main course, with only sprinkling of Chumash and mishna. He says that when they marry and go to work (as was the custom of our ancestors) they have a bunch of pilpul and very little real knowledge. He wonders if this causes them to leave religion.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:04 am
Okay this confirms my thinking.

I didn't grow up in a religious household but to me, I see what is happening with my kids, and it doesn't make sense to me.

I want them to love yiddishkeit and not resent it.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:36 am
I think learning the basic levels of most (if not all) disciplines and skills is naturally tedious and boring.

For instance, my ds HATED learning to read. Omg was that torture. He whined, complained, etc. BH' he is very bright, and once he got past the beginning hurdle, he began reading several grade levels higher than his age.

I think it's the same thing here. We "force" them to apply themselves to learning the foundation, so that when they're a bit older they'll have the skills to learn it in depth.

Now, if you think your child is actually not capable of filling the expectations, that's a different story altogether.

mo5

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:53 am
It also depends on the teachers. Some teachers spend more time teaching the skills needed to learn Gemara and that makes it more interesting too.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:03 pm
First of all, google Chitrik Academy videos. That may help.

Second of all, I personally put more effort into Mishnayos. I think Gemara is pushed too early.

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:09 pm
gemara takes time to understand even bochurim of older age have a hard time with gemara. if your talking about 10-12 that is just the begining. they need to learn the basic and foundation. they then build on it later on. its abstract in the begining. then they get the feel and and the ones who will practice it again and again say they got a real sweetness to it. I know people that love learning gemara that when they cant sleep they go to their gemara. it helps you forget the troubles and you go into another world. dont worry. just encourage your kids to practice and even though it doesnt make sense eventually they will get it.

if your child has learning issues thats a different issue.

as far as the kids making fun and not having respect for thier rebbe. thats a discipline issue. and maybe its time to switch them to a parallel class. its a pity bec if they get the right rebbe and the right atmosphere then its a whole different atmospehere. encourage them to got to the principle and tell them thier issues.

The Talmud is the mainstay of the Jewish oral tradition and the foundation of how we pasken halacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling