Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Help:Can I alter a set of full sized linen to fit a 48"

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 7:18 pm
I received a beautiful set of linen as a gift - however they are full sized and my beds are only 48"... Is it possible to alter linen? And does anyone know who I can go to do to this? I live in Brooklyn. Thanks

chen

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:06 pm
what do you need to alter them for? a full-size bed is only 6 inches wider than 48. just tuck the excess under the mattress. unless you don't mean full size--54 inches wide--but king-size, which is 78 inches wide.

Anyone with a sewing machine can cut off the excess width and sew a hem. you don't need a professional tailor.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:14 pm
chen wrote:
what do you need to alter them for? a full-size bed is only 6 inches wider than 48. just tuck the excess under the mattress. unless you don't mean full size--54 inches wide--but king-size, which is 78 inches wide.

Anyone with a sewing machine can cut off the excess width and sew a hem. you don't need a professional tailor.

OP here:
6 inches is a lot to just tuck under, no? wont the fitted sheet keep moving around and not fit right? And it comes with a matching bedskirt too that wont fit right either.

Anyway, I dont know how to sew at all - are there any Imamothers in Brooklyn who have a sewing machine know how to sew and would like a little side job?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:29 pm
Many of the linen stores in BP will alter the sheets for you.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
Many of the linen stores in BP will alter the sheets for you.

really? can you please recommend one specifically?

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:35 pm
aren't there clips that you can use under the mattress to hold the sheets?

GAMZu

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:40 pm
It's not 6 inches to tuck under. It's 3 inches on each side.
The bedskirt- is it on elastic, or the type that lies on the boxspring?
You can just fold over/make a pleat down the center, pin it up... ant it will fit!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:41 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
aren't there clips that you can use under the mattress to hold the sheets?

But what about the bed skirt and the duvet cover also needs works as it is queen sized...

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:43 pm
GAMZu wrote:
It's not 6 inches to tuck under. It's 3 inches on each side.
The bedskirt- is it on elastic, or the type that lies on the boxspring?
You can just fold over/make a pleat down the center, pin it up... ant it will fit!

its lies flat on the box spring has isnt the scrunched kind - its smooth and just has a pleat in the center.

I guess this isnt a big job to alter, just I really dont know how to sew... I would need someone else to do it

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:44 pm
you might have that size bed one day . . it's very expensive to alter things for the bed. I'd personally use clips.

sysr

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 2:22 am
I just did that exact job for someone recently. unfortunately I live in MA and am A"H moving to FL. but you can take it to a seamstress if you can't find someone with a machine.
here is what I did:
for the fitted sheet I folded it in half right sides together lengthwise and stitched a 3" seam down the middle. which took in the sheet the 6" but in the center not at the edges because that seemed way to stressful. for the dust ruffle (hers had no pleat in front) I also just made a seam down the center. she didn't want a pleat so I stitched the seam all the way down, but if you want the pleat you can just now have a deeper pleat. for the blanket cover, she left it queen sized because she had queen sized blankets, but if you flip it inside out then it is simple to just make a seam on one side of 6", or 3" on both sides to add up to the 6" .

if you haven't found anyone in a few weeks, then after I move I would be happy to do them for you via the mail. PM me if you want to take me up n the offer.
Hatzlachah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics