Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How long did it take until your child was accident-free?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 4:41 pm
My 3.5 yo DS was trained about a month ago, but it still having accidents daily. A good day is when he only has one accident towards the end of the day.

How long did it take until your child did not have regular accidents? This is my first and I would like to know what's "normal."

Thanks in advance for your replies!

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 4:47 pm
I did not consider DS trained until he could be accident free. It was a few weeks after we potty trained him at 2 1/2. Now at 5 1/2 every once in a while he has an accident but its maybe once a month sometimes less. Night training was a whole different story.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 5:11 pm
For my kids, I realized that the night training has to happen right away for the day training to work. My first few were upset to get a diaper at night so I night trained them after a week and they were fully accident free by day and night after 2-3 weeks.

My most recent one was having so many accidents that I pushed off night training but after a month of accidents, I decided to just night train and then the day accidents basically stopped - we had maybe 2.

For night training, I tell them they can sleep in underwear and if they have to make at night, they should call from their crib: I need to make! and we will take them to the bathroom. I tell them we might even wake them up and bring them to the bathroom.

If they don't wake up on their own by 12am, we just bring them to the bathroom and they basically pee in their sleep (it's adorable, lol).

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 5:20 pm
My kids are trained by 2 years. They barely have accidents after. Maybe he needs to reminded to go to the bathroom. It takes time to get the hang of it.

Miri7

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 5:28 pm
Depends on the child. Some seem to be better at pausing to think "I need to go" than others. I have one son who I'm pretty certain would realize he needed to go but would keep playing if he was having fun. (Yuck!)

Are you still prompting him to visit the bathroom at regular intervals?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 5:35 pm
I'm still traumatized from training my almost 5 year old. She got the concept pretty quickly but because of her behavioral issues she kept peeing her pants on purpose to get me mad. I officially pronounced her trained when she was about 3 1\2 but she still has accidents occasionally though not in school bh.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 5:48 pm
Yes, we are still taking him to the toilet regularly.

I will add that he was difficult to train. It took 3 attempts. Most recently when he finally trained, it took us about 3 weeks until he finally got the hang of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training