Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What seminary did you go to?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 2:51 pm
Just curious,
What seminary did you go to, and what years?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious,
What seminary did you go to, and what years?

I went to Neve Yerushalayim some years ago. There were a lot of pretty messed up girls there. Many of them got caught up in the inspiration, got engaged and married very, very quickly while there, and at least 5 of them are now divorced and/or no longer religious. Maybe it's different these days there, who knows.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:18 pm
Binas Bais Yaakov.

Year of the seminary scandal.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:20 pm
I'll answer my own post,
Afikei Torah, 2003-'05

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
Binas Bais Yaakov.

Year of the seminary scandal.

what scandal?

gamekeeper

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:25 pm
Ateres 99-00

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
what scandal?

Just google for all the sordid details.

The dean was involved in s*xual relationships with students.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:01 pm
meohr 08

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:05 pm
Orot 97 - 98

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:38 pm
BYA 08-09

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:47 pm
BYY 99-00

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:12 pm
None. And by some miracle I still managed to stay frum, keep a kosher shomer shabbos home, and bring up children who do the same.

(Sarcasm alert. No miracle. Fourteen years of formal Jewish education and twenty-something of living in a kosher shomer shabbos parental home will usually accomplish that much.)

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:17 pm
I can't say which one I went to, because I feel like it was the biggest waste of money and biggest scam every (it is one mentioned above).

Oh, how I wish I had known that seminary is all hype.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:18 pm
Bnos Chava 04-05

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:33 pm
Michlalah '98-'99

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:34 pm
I always wondered if everyone really loves seminary in Israel because everyone I ask looooves it

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:40 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
I always wondered if everyone really loves seminary in Israel because everyone I ask looooves it

I loved it. I hung out with friends, partied in town, smoked hash with people from all over the world, got on a bus and went to Eilat, tzfat, you name it. Stopped into a shiur once in awhile and doodled in my notebooks, had no job, no kids, total freedom. Good times! 👍🏼

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:41 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:

I loved my year of seminary in E"Y and I even went back for a second year. (I haven't posted here where I went. I'm not really sure what the point is of a thread of anonymous amothers posting the years they went to seminary.)

But I don't think that's true for everyone - the loving it part. When we looked into seminary choices for DD (she just graduated and decided to stay home) my SIL, who lives in E"Y and hosts alot of seminary girls for Shabbos, told me as follows:

There are girls who are bent on going all thru their high school years, and many of these girls really love it. Then there are girls who are sort of ambivalent; some of these end up liking it, but alot of them tell her that if they could get a refund they'd be on the next plane home. And I've heard of girls whose parents make them go (or they might not get a shidduch!) and some of those girls are really unhappy all year.

A neighbor of mine told me that she cried the whole way there, and never liked seminary at all. Her parents made her go. I can't fathom spending that kind of money to send someone away for 10 months if that someone doesn't want it. My DD felt that 10 months away wouldn't be something she's ready for, so local seminary it is.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:42 pm
BY night seminary '01-'02

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:43 pm
I actually grew a lot in seminary and it helped me in many ways. There are girls for whom seminary is a very necessary part of their lives, and there are girls who would do better not going to seminary. I don't think blanket statements in either direction are accurate or helpful.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics