Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What seminary did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 2:58 pm
debsey wrote:
Not gonna post where but it was in95. One of the big mainstream BY seminaries in EY. I ABSOLUTELY HATED it. I found the teachers uninterested and coming from a small, warm school where it had a personal kesher with lots of my teachers I found it cold and impersonal.

I wonder how high school impacts the seminary experience. I went to a high school that was rather impersonal, so I found seminary to be so much more focused on the individual, even though it was a pretty big seminary.

I was also in a mainstream BY seminary in EY in 94-95. Loved every minute.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 3:50 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I wonder how high school impacts the seminary experience. I went to a high school that was rather impersonal, so I found seminary to be so much more focused on the individual, even though it was a pretty big seminary.

I was also in a mainstream BY seminary in EY in 94-95. Loved every minute.

I also wonder about that. I honestly feel that my HS set up such high expectations in me for closeness to teachers, mentoring, having questions answered and not dismissed, that the seminary just couldn't match up. To be fair, I was warned by my HS teachers that I would have been better off in a different seminary, but I had my heart set on the one I attended because of the "name."

I also feel they were borderline negligent in how they supervised the girls - I had a serious health issue at one point of the year, and despite asking the Aim HaBayis for help with finding a doctor, I never got any help or even any inquiries as to how I was feeling. I was lucky I had an aunt there, because how can you expect a 17 year old to navigate an unfamiliar health system in a language she's not that proficient in???

I'm told they are much more "on top" of the girls now, which is good because I have an 11th grader who has her heart set on Israel.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:46 pm
seminar!!! loved every minute!!!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:01 pm
debsey wrote:
I also feel they were borderline negligent in how they supervised the girls - I had a serious health issue at one point of the year, and despite asking the Aim HaBayis for help with finding a doctor, I never got any help or even any inquiries as to how I was feeling. I was lucky I had an aunt there, because how can you expect a 17 year old to navigate an unfamiliar health system in a language she's not that proficient in???

One of my pet peeves....mothers should check out a place if they entrust their daughters to their care for 10 months (and they pay a pretty penny for it too.....). One of my sisters broke her ankle while on a hike in seminary, and the seminary sent her for emergency care without an adult - just another girl kindly went with her. They took no interest in her follow-up care, which included physical therapy, leaving a 17 year old to arrange this herself in a foreign country...in the end, my parents flew her home mid-year to have her checked out by an orthopedist they trusted, because they were not comfortable with the level of care the seminary was arranging (or not bothering, more like it).

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
Monsey sem too! 2010. Worst year of my life Tongue Out
After Mrs. Fogel left the whole seminary went downhill. I was there the last year she was there and it was the best year of my life! I'm sorry for your bad experience. Was it the last year it was open?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 8:51 pm
Bya night sem.
started in sep '84. went for 7 years!
Loved learning without the pressure of tests!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 10:04 am
Machon Rivkin 92-93

rydys wrote:
I was there that year, too! PM me if you want, I'd love to reconnect!

Me three Smile

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Machon Rivkin 92-93

Me three Smile

Me four!! I don't know why I never saw this thread before, it's old but it is fun to hear from 4 people in the same small group (40 girls or so??)

Debbie

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 3:21 pm
I never got the opportunity to go to seminary, but my younger daughter went to Tomer Devorah in Ramot from 2012- 2013 and she has fond memories of her time there.
For quite a while I wished I had been able to go but I'm well over it now!

Last edited by Debbie on Mon, Mar 05 2018, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
Shoshanim 06

Me too. I wonder who you are. There were all of like 25 girls there. I did not have a good year. Wasnt impressed with girls or the admin. What were your thoughts.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
Me four!! I don't know why I never saw this thread before, it's old but it is fun to hear from 4 people in the same small group (40 girls or so??)

We're due for a 25 year reunion, yeah, 4/40 is a significant amount!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:55 pm
Bump!
Bnos Sarah 16-17

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:02 pm
Any Nitzotz ladies here? 2018-2019

bigsis144

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Bump!
Bnos Sarah 16-17

How is it 11 years later?? I went to a Bnos Sarah in its second year, back in 05-06!

Mrs Zalaznik, Mrs Arieli, Mrs Katzenellenbogen?

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:08 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
How is it 11 years later?? I went to a Bnos Sarah in its second year, back in 05-06!

Mrs Zalaznik, Mrs Arieli, Mrs Katzenellenbogen?

Yes yes and yes! Smile

bigsis144

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:09 pm
Are there still the “plot-their-journey-through-the-midbar” and the “70 Panim LaTorah”/machlokes reports?

Is it still on the Neve Campus?

I had a wonderful year there.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:11 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Are there still the “plot-their-journey-through-the-midbar” and the “70 Panim LaTorah”/machlokes reports?

Is it still on the Neve Campus?

I had a wonderful year there.

Trying to remember... There was no midbar one but I think we did have the machlokes one.
Yes it is!! Ahh I miss it so much.
Yup Bnos Sarah is the best!!
Did you have Mrs Powitz as your aim bayis? (She was gone by the time I got there but I know her through my family)

bigsis144

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Trying to remember... There was no midbar one but I think we did have the machlokes one.
Yes it is!! Ahh I miss it so much.
Yup Bnos Sarah is the best!!
Did you have Mrs Powitz as your aim bayis? (She was gone by the time I got there but I know her through my family)

Yes, Mrs. Powitz was my aim bayis! She was so sweet and an amazing mother. I had an emergency surgery when I was in sem and she came with me to all my dr appointments until my mother was able to fly in from the USA.

Her oldest kids are probably getting married by now...

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:19 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Yes, Mrs. Powitz was my aim bayis! She was so sweet and an amazing mother. I had an emergency surgery when I was in sem and she came with me to all my dr appointments until my mother was able to fly in from the USA.

Her oldest kids are probably getting married by now...

yes she is amazing!!!
and yup! Her 3rd child (2nd daughter) is married Smile

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:21 pm
I didn't. It wasn't such a 'thing' in my day in my circles. The few girls I knew who went to seminary were either extreme RW frum and not planning to go to college or had had a somewhat limited Jewish education and were going to seminary to 'catch up.'
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics