Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Any first grade teachers out there??

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 2:30 pm
1. what is your bathroom rule

2. Do you have any specific way you change students from one activity to the next with out major disruption I.e song....

3. what is your discipline plan

or any other cute ideas would be helpful
thanks I teach grade 1 english

Cupcake

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 10:08 am
Well...I teach K-1 Religious School and I have my hands full this year. I tend to divide my 2 hour period in half. After the first half we have a bathroom break, then snack. That seems to work well. I also tell them the times at which transitions will occur...yeah, I am breeding little clock watchers but it helps, especially since I have twins who are CLASSIC ADHD.

As far as discipline, our synagogue has some serious issues with the discipline policy. Basically, you're supposed to tell the parents about any issues and allow them to handle it. That's hard when the parents look at you and say, "What are you going to do? They're so CUTE!" For the small incidents (and this is an ongoing problem), I do time outs, take away snack time for the offending child, take away snack for the whole class, and then send the child to the principal. We go over the rules almost every week - no standing on tables or chairs, no invading someone's personal space, no touching, raise hands when they want to talk, no destroying property, use our manners, etc. Unfortunately, and I find this so demoralizing, there is no support from the Education Committee or principal and the parents simply do not care.

Cupcake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics