Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buying/owning a car in brooklyn

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 11:13 am
We're thinking about getting a car-- it would be a huge convenience-- but we're not sure if it will work out financially.

For those of you fellow Brooklyners who own cars, can you give some insights into the actual cost per month-- like gas, insurance, maintenance, AAA, etc.

Any comments on buying a reliable, used car for not so much money-- we want something decent that will get us from point A to point B-- we're obviously not looking for a Lexus.

Also, after all is said and done, do you think it is worth it to own a car???

Thanx in advance!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 6:09 pm
Anyone?

louche

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 8:02 pm
No one is answering b/c no one can estimate your usage. You're going to be better off calling various insurance companies for rates, which depend on may factors, including how old you are, and how many drivers you have. Are you going for collision, or liability only? How much of a deductible are you willing to accept? How much are you willing to lay out in parking fines? Figure gas is around $3 a gallon right now--how much it will cost you will depend on the efficiency of the car, how much you drive, and what kind of driving. stop-and-go city driving is murder on gas mileage.

maintenance will depend on a lot of things, like how good a car you get in the first place. get an old jalopy and chances are it will be in the shop every other week. Can you or dh do routine maintenance yourselves, like oil, filter, belt and hose changes, or will you have to bring the car in to the shop for that?

another thing to consider is that the minute you get a car, everyone and her uncle will be calling you "I hear you're going to Lakewood, can you pick up my daughter at my sister's house on the way back, she's in Philly so it's not much out of the way/can you go a little later and take me to my mil/can you take three people to the Glickman chasunoh..." which could be a good thing if you want to meet a lot of new people in your neighborhood.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 9:04 pm
When we lived in Brooklyn, DH and I did the math - The cost of car, insurance, gas, plus the hassle of parking versus buying a metropass, taking a car service when we really needed to, and renting a car for out of town trips - It worked out much cheaper and less hassle to not own.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 9:42 pm
I own a car and I live in Brooklyn. When I moved to Brooklyn from NJ I just couldn't get rid of having a car.

insurance in brooklyn runs about 1500-2000 I think a year for liablilty but it really depends on age and how much insurance you want. Gas does cost money and add up and there are the unexpected trips to the mechanic that can add up too.

For me its worth it. I use the car alot in the summer and I take my kids often to museums and the zoo. I also do alot of shopping with it. So for me its worth it. I also visit family of my in NJ often.

IF you are already getting by without one then it will save you alot not to get one then.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 9:52 pm
I think a car is a necessity, even in Brooklyn. For the first three years of our marriage we had a car that was given to us. After we couldn't stop getting it to overheat we had to get rid of it. Due to financial constriants at the time we couldn't replace it, even with a used one. For the last two years we lived in Brooklyn I went crazy. It was just a nightmare. I had 4 kids under the age of 7 and was chained to the house. I don't recommend anyone do it. B"H now DH got a better job so we are able to have one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics