Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tushie Rash - Allergic to diaper?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 7:56 pm
My son b"h very rarely has a diaper rash, but for the past 2 days he has had a very red tushie. It looks like an allergic reaction, but I don't know if he's really eaten anything different - he had snowpeas, but he's had them before, but not recently. He is teething right now - getting 3 big ones in. I've heard that it can cause a diaper rash, but is this it?

I called his doctor who of course was closed and I guess I'll call them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

It's red and splotchy and even looks a little raised in places. It's all over his tushie and leg area where the diaper is and in the front as well. He only had this one other time, now that I think about it, and we thought it was because we were trying a different diaper and maybe he was allergic to it, we went back to his old diaper and it was gone.

WAIT!!! I just opened a new pack of diapers. Could they have changed the formula in Huggies? We usually buy them at costco but couldn't this time and bought a small pack at the store. Uh oh....

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 8:15 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
...very red tushie. It looks like an allergic reaction, but I don't know if he's really eaten anything different... It's red and splotchy and even looks a little raised in places. It's all over his tushie and leg area where the diaper is and in the front as well

My daughter had the same thing. No new foods, didn't usually get diaper rash. Didn't know what it was.

Mimisinger wrote:
...Could they have changed the formula in Huggies?

I found out that she's allergic to something in Huggies diapers. It took a few days for the rash to disappear after using ointment and different diapers. Try changing the brand or type and see if it goes away.

shlumzmum

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 8:22 pm
I had the same problem when luv diapers started making their diapers with a new color (purple instead of blue) my son got a bad diaper rash so I changed to pampers and it was gone

(B"H no more diapers now, only underpants, lol)

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 9:17 pm
Wow, this is a lot more common than I thought! I'm going to call the company tomorrow and see what they say! Thanks for your responses.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 9:55 pm
for sure it's possible ... I had 2 kids with very sensitive skin ... and the diapers made a difference ... so does detergents ... and how many rinses, etc ... so ... good you noticed ...

funny50

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 11:26 pm
I had a similar problem with my daughter. ever since she was a few weeks old, she had terrrible diaper rashes. (she's now 6 k"h). I bought something called "diaper doublers" from pathmark company (rite aid might also have a similar product, but don't know what it's called). anyways, the "diaper doubler" is inserted inside the diaper. if the child is allergic to anything in the diaper, it won't touch the child's skin, instead this diaper doubler will.
also, the child might not be able to tollerate all kind of diaper rash creams or baby powders.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 11:32 pm
Mommastuff - when did this happen to you? Recently?

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 10:55 pm
this happened about 12-18 months ago. It was only one of the huggies diapers but I don't remember which one so I just don't get that brand anymore.

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:20 pm
My oldest dd was allergic to every single kind of disposible diaper on the market. There are a LOT of chemicals in disposible diapers, including sodium polyacrylate, which is the chemical that was banned in tampons due to its link with toxic shock syndrome. Obviously diapers aren't used internally but sometimes those gel beads come out (those are the sodium polyacrylate, the absorbency stuff) and get inside the parts (for girls).

Truthfully for my oldest we had to go to cloth diapers, which wasn't nearly as difficult, nasty, or time consuming as we had assumed. Also SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive (only pay once!) and really only one more load of laundry every 3 days or so.

But if you don't want to do that, there are some less toxic disposibles out there -- actually many of the generic brands (Target, Walmart, grocery stores) don't use as much perfumes/dyes in their diapers so sometimes they are less allergenic. There's a brand called Tushies which is less allergenic, and one called Seventh Generation I think.

For my younger two we used cloth, but occasionally used disposibles and when we did I just bought the CVS or Target brands, and they were okay by us.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 8:27 pm
you might use less absorbent diapers.

cip

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:19 pm
organic diapers - their brown but I don't know the company.

anuta

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:44 am
I always had this problem with Huggies with both my children. Costco brand and Pampers were OK. Many other brands ( I tried store brands too) also were very rash-prone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics