Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
DON'T GET RIPPED OFF BY CHAIN PHARMACIES!!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 11:53 am
I just found out about this and thought I would share it so that no one will get ripped off like I did.

Apparently, when a generic medication comes out onto the market- for a couple of months- the chain pharmacies - I.e. CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, Rite Aid, etc. - will give you the generic but charge you the price that they charge for the brand name medication!!! But if you go to a small pharmacy- they will charge you the real generic price- which is ALOT cheaper than the brand.

In my situation- I got a prescription for a medication and I took it to Walgreens - Walgreens charges $1,000 for the brand name medicine - and with my insurance it was reduced 50% to $500. When I asked if they could fill it generically, they said that is the generic price. Once I found out about this- I called a local small pharmacy and asked them how much they charge for the generic of this medication and they said $65 without insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiles

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 12:06 pm
So you were given generic and were charged for Brand??? This is cheating!! You should go back to them and let them know that the generic does not cost that much and that you were ripped off and you want your money back. If that doesn't work, Maybe contact the Attorney General to try to get your money back. Do you have proof that the medicine you took was a generic?

justanothermother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 12:15 pm
shock Thank you for telling us about this.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 12:23 pm
I found this out before I spent all the money - baruch hashem- but apparently this is something that happens all the time- the pharmacist in the smaller store knew all about this policy that chain stores have.

ChavieK

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 3:04 pm
They are only allowed legaly to give you generic if it is specificaly written on the prescription.

Cinderella

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 3:45 pm
ChavieK wrote:
They are only allowed legaly to give you generic if it is specificaly written on the prescription.

Actually, you are mistaken. Unless "DAW" is written on the prescription, which stands for, "dispense as written'', a generic is almost always substituted for the brand name.

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 4:25 pm
Cinderella wrote:
ChavieK wrote:

Actually, you are mistaken. Unless "DAW" is written on the prescription, which stands for, "dispense as written'', a generic is almost always substituted for the brand name.

Yep, that's true.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 5:32 pm
yup daw ... it's the opposite ...

so ... lucky for me right now I have full coverage ... it is a phycho rip-off ... how are people surviving this insanity ...

Esther23

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 6:22 pm
wow, I really appreciate you telling us this. I will definitely keep it in mind.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 6:32 pm
I have heard that it is best to comparison shop for prescriptions since the price can vary from store to store.

cindy324

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 7:55 pm
My friend just told me how much these chain pharmacies jack up the prices of the prescriptions shock shock

She said that Cosco, yes the warehouse, is the cheapest by far, only making 10% on each prescription.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 9:02 pm
I was once quoted $65 as my 10% copay for an antiobiotic from cvs. The Rx was for 1 tsp of medication. I spoke to a friend's father who actually owns a pharmacy, and he told me the cost of an entire bottle without insurance was $60. Unbelievable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics