Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Best way to break the fast to avoid migraine

OMG!

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 1:01 am
I shudder when I think about motze Tisha b'av. I ate a little cake with vegetable soup and started getting such bad migraines afterwards that I was sick in bed for 3 days!!! I drank plenty before and after and didn't eat too much sugar. How can I avoid those migraines???

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 1:18 am
I dont personally think anything can prevent them. I also get them. Its awful. I drink a lot the days before. but by the end of the fast, its no use. I end up missing neilah and am a washed out shmata for the next few days.
Lie in a dark room the minute you dont feel well. Thats what I do.
Feel good.

tf

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 1:21 am
I found that when I fast out on cake I get terrible side effects. What works for me is tea, clear soup and such. After I safely fasted out on liquid is it ok to eat other healthy nourishing foods, even as much as a seudah.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 1:31 am
Watermelon before and after very refreshing - I'm also the headache type and this really helps

mamita

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:36 am
Light soups. Then light cooked veggies then lots of liquid-mineral content food. Like fresh fruit and veg. Then whatever you feel like.
I still will get a headache if I did a regular day. Just too long . but by next morning feeling great. If I stayed in bed and did no physical activity I'm fine. I guess moving around really drains my bodies resources.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:28 am
OMG! wrote:
I shudder when I think about motze Tisha b'av. I ate a little cake with vegetable soup and started getting such bad migraines afterwards that I was sick in bed for 3 days!!! I drank plenty before and after and didn't eat too much sugar. How can I avoid those migraines???

Oy, this is exactly me. The migraine hits as I start to eat.
I will break on Tylenol this time

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:02 am
Skip the cake and juice. I was eating this post fast for years and finally figured out this was what did me in.
Eat protein and a large salad afterwards. (I like an omelet with fresh cut salad, olive oil and seasoning). Water to drink, and if you need more than that, then low calorie Gatorade.
Rest afterwards. And if you need more later than eat more of the same or soup but stay away from carbs and sugar that might.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 2:24 pm
A family member was told by a dr that the body craves salt, not sugar, after a fast and she should break her fast on salty foods. She started doing it and saw a huge difference.
Try a bagel with salted butter, or lox if you want to be daring. Something salty, not sweet.

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
A family member was told by a dr that the body craves salt, not sugar, after a fast and she should break her fast on salty foods. She started doing it and saw a huge difference.
Try a bagel with salted butter, or lox if you want to be daring. Something salty, not sweet.

and my family member was told the exact opposite after a fast and fainted after eating lox and bagels. family member was told to drink some OJ after the fast for the blood sugar.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 2:48 pm
octopus wrote:
and my family member was told the exact opposite after a fast and fainted after eating lox and bagels. family member was told to drink some OJ after the fast for the blood sugar.

I guess it depends on the individual and the medical background.
Did your family member have problems with blood sugar levels in general?
My family member didn't have any overall medical issues. Just a very hard time when breaking a fast.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 3:13 pm
Also during pregnancy it would be low blood sugar.
Regular would be low mineral (salt)

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 3:20 pm
Our family has a minhag
Before eating anything else we have dry toast dipped in olive oil and salt.
We are Turkish background.
I know other Turkish ppl that have the same minhag.
It's funny that ppl here are saying to eat salty foods.
I'm sure there's something to this, you can try.

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
I guess it depends on the individual and the medical background.
Did your family member have problems with blood sugar levels in general?
My family member didn't have any overall medical issues. Just a very hard time when breaking a fast.

I don't know. I do know for myself that if I eat too many carbs after a fast I get awful headache. For myself, I have to go easy on the carbs (which means starchs, fruits, and juice) and instead eat mostly protein and veggies, with one complex carb(fruit, ex. melon)

OMG!

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:09 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
Oy, this is exactly me. The migraine hits as I start to eat.
I will break on Tylenol this time

good for you! im highly allergic to tylenol and practically no other medicine does a good job. thats why im really afraid of getting a headache in the first place. so good luck to you

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:19 pm
OMG! wrote:
good for you! im highly allergic to tylenol and practically no other medicine does a good job. thats why im really afraid of getting a headache in the first place. so good luck to you

Hope it works but I'm going to try & not eat carbs too. 3 days with a migraine is no fun Sad

OMG!

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:26 pm
thanks for all the replies. the good news is that I am early pregnant bh and feel that I need the sugar. like orange juice, should I avoid that? help me summarize. watermelon is not too sweet? I crave salt sometimes so that can be a good idea. like soup or bread with butter. or plain challa. and lets hope ill be brave enough and not have cake and coffee!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur