Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO Baby Bella Roast Recipe - Anyone?

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 2:33 pm
Last year, one of the magazines had a recipe for Baby Bella Roast - I made it and wasn't sure my family would like it, so I foolishly threw out the recipe. Now DH and some of my kids are asking me to make it again! Which means it was really good, if they remember it.

I think it was like a minute roast with Baby Bella Mushrooms baked with it.

Does anyone have the recipe?

ahuva06

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 4:07 pm
This recipe is from a cookbook that a yeshiva sends out once a year as a fundraiser. Its absolutely delicious!

4 lb. brisket
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup flour
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 tablespoon dried rosemary (I leave it out bec dont have in the house)
salt and pepper to taste
12 oz baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and halved.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Whisk broth, cranberry sauce, and flour together.

Pour into a large roasting pan. Add sliced onions, chopped garlic and rosemary.

Season roast with salt and pepper. Place on top of onions in roasting pan. Spoon cranberry mixture over the meat.

Bake covered 2 1/2 hours.

Add mushrooms and bake covered another 45 minutes.

Cool. Slice thinly across the grain.

Reheat in sauce before serving.

Enjoy!

Liebs

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 4:40 pm
becca wrote:
This recipe is from a cookbook that a yeshiva sends out once a year as a fundraiser. Its absolutely delicious!
Enjoy!

Big hit here as well! It is in the cookbook, "A Taste of Pesach".

ahuva06

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 4:42 pm
Liebs wrote:
Big hit here as well! It is in the cookbook, "A Taste of Pesach".

Thats right - A taste of pesach is a compilation of their recipes Smile

Liebs

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 5:22 pm
becca wrote:
Thats right - A taste of pesach is a compilation of their recipes Smile

figured so...just got thrown off by the flour. I actually use potato starch a whole year because didn't know how much to substitute. Funny thing is I had a guest recently who was gluten free when I served that (without knowing so before the meal!).
So that was hashgacha!!!
Enjoy it!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 8:34 pm
Liebs wrote:
figured so...just got thrown off by the flour. I actually use potato starch a whole year because didn't know how much to substitute. Funny thing is I had a guest recently who was gluten free when I served that (without knowing so before the meal!).
So that was hashgacha!!!
Enjoy it!

How much potato starch do they suggest in the Pesach recipe?

debsey

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:38 am
Thanks for posting! No wonder I couldn't find the recipe in the supplements I saved from last year. It's in my PESACH box! Definitely going to make it again.

It's ironic - DH always grumbles (in a good-natured fashion) when I buy any ingredient he considers "exotic." Like baby bella mushrooms - he'll say "What's wrong with good old fashioned canned? That was good enough for my mother....." but given that DH is one vote out of the many, I usually just smile and make whatever recipe tickled my fancy. If I'm cooking, I might as well make things that sound good to me.

The fact that DH asked for that Baby Bella roast means it was pretty good. He's really not the sort to notice what he's eating. But I admit I did tease him about the whole "just used canned mushrooms" thing.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How much potato starch do they suggest in the Pesach recipe?

They suggest 1/4 cup potato starch. I make this recipe on pesach and during the year. During the year I replace the starch with flour. I use the same amount and it comes out fantastic Smile

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:33 pm
I know this is an old thread. I'm on imamother trying to find good roast recipes (and trying not to get distracted by all the other threads that pop into my field of vision). Any experts here today?

I never bake roast on 400! I've followed recipes where you sear the roast on the stovetop in hot oil, then bake at low temp. I've baked at high temp (400 - 425) for half an hour uncovered then bake low, covered. I've skipped the first step and just baked low (325 or less) for a long time.

I hate the thought of ruining a good roast. I'd try a new recipe with a couple of chicken bottoms, but for a roast I need some seriously good cooks to weigh in.
Anybody??

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:41 pm
iyar wrote:
I know this is an old thread. I'm on imamother trying to find good roast recipes (and trying not to get distracted by all the other threads that pop into my field of vision). Any experts here today?

I never bake roast on 400! I've followed recipes where you sear the roast on the stovetop in hot oil, then bake at low temp. I've baked at high temp (400 - 425) for half an hour uncovered then bake low, covered. I've skipped the first step and just baked low (325 or less) for a long time.

I hate the thought of ruining a good roast. I'd try a new recipe with a couple of chicken bottoms, but for a roast I need some seriously good cooks to weigh in.
Anybody??

I would just bake it at 325 or 350 for at least 3 hours

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 2:02 pm
iyar wrote:

Anybody??

It comes out great as is.
FYI my mother makes her veal roast, and spare ribs, at 425.

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 2:25 pm
Thank you!
I'm trusting you're both spectacular cooks.
I think I'll do two, one tichellady roast, one ra_mom.
I'll check in after Pesach if I remember.
If anyone wants to submit comments or votes for either that would be great!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 2:55 pm
iyar wrote:
Thank you!

Only bake this recipe at 400 degrees. I'm not recommending 400 for another version. Smile There are other roasts that I bake at other temperatures. 400 for this recipe will also yield a great sauce from the combination of liquids.

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 2:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Only bake this recipe at 400 degrees. I'm not recommending 400 for another version. Smile There are other roasts that I bake at other temperatures. 400 for this recipe will also yield a great sauce from the combination of liquids.

Thumbs Up

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 3:45 pm
iyar wrote:
Thank you!

Personally I would just follow the recipe, but if you are worried about it, I was suggesting to cook on a lower temperature. I honestly don’t think it matters so much. I think it matters more to get a good cut of meat that isn’t too dry
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics