Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Birthdays

Mandy

Post Sun, Jul 17 2005, 11:53 pm
On the subject of getting older and appreciating our birthdays, I will post this. Carrot's last post in the age poll thread made me think of it. I couldn't find it on the internet so I re-typed it. It is really good.

Quote:
Today is My Birthday

By Sara Gutfreund

Today is my birthday. I am ninety years old.

My children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren have just left. My party is over. The room is littered with ribbons and balloons. Half of the pink and white ice cream cake is melting on the table beside me. No one really felt like eating here; not even Shira who loves ice cream. I think it’s because of that biting antiseptic smell that seems to permeate hospital rooms.

I can see my reflection in the window now, but I cannot recognize myself. I am old. I have been old for a long time. When I was young and naïve I used to say that I was the kind of person who would never grow old. “After all,” I would say with a practiced wink,” it’s the inside that counts.” But that was before my skin wrinkled into hundreds of “laughter” lines. That was before my body ached and my memory began to ebb.

It’s funny what I do to remember now. I carry inside me my first glimpse in the mirror as a kalla. I can see my shining eyes framed by wisps of white lace. Even now, seventy years later, I can feel the bouquet of pale, pink roses in my arms; the softness of the petals, the heady aroma of beginnings.

The kalla in my memory doesn’t appreciate her grace. Instead, she worries about hundreds of irrelevant details, about situations that will never happen, about conversations long forgotten.

And now that my husband is gone, I remember him under the shadows of the chuppa. And I can’t figure out why I remember it now that he is gone. Why didn’t I laugh more all those years and forgive sooner ? How I yearn for one more morning at the breakfast table. One more Shabbos table together…

I wipe away a stray tear and look down at my legs; useless legs that shrink faster each day. And now that longer walk, I remember the last steps that I took. Months ago, I got out of bed and walked to window to say Modeh Ani. My knees hurt me. My back ached. The sky was gray. And inside I felt complaints welling up, pushing to be heard.

If only I had known what a blessing it is to walk, even with aching knees. I can still feel my feet padding slowly on the carpet. I can still remember the birds that chidpred outside my window, the frown that formed on my face, the smooth coldness of the window against my worn cheek.

Then I turn to the windowsill in my hospital room. There are framed pictures of my family looking back at me. I look at my daughters, now grown with grandchildren of their own whom I can no longer hold.

I remember what it felt like to cradle them in my arms. Their soft skin that smelled like milk and powder and fresh, white sheets drying in the sun. I remember how they opened and closed their tiny fists and searched for my face. I remember how tired I was. How quickly I lost patience with their toddler antics and endless noise.

Now I ache for one more moment to hold them, just one more minute of their babyhood. But it is gone, long buried beneath the years.

Looking up from the pictures, I can see the last rays of sun falling softly through the branches of the willow tree. The light fades, shadow by shadow, I turn around and watch my birthday cake melt. I begin to daven, sobbing openly in the twilight. Please, Hashem, give me back my life, each day, just the way You handed it to me. Give me one more chance, and this time I will know what I have.

“This time I will know what I have. This time I will know what I have.” I hear myself whispering over and over. And suddenly, there is a little hand on my cheek and I awaken with a start. The dream ends and I am once again a thirty-year-old housewife. I fell asleep sitting on the couch! My three boys have turned the living room upside down during my nap. How long was I asleep?

There are crushed Cheerios on the floor, and Lego blocks strewn all the way to the kitchen. My daughter’s hands are sticky, and I scoop her up to wash them in the sink. I contemplate the sink full of dirty dishes and the delighted faces of the boys who are making a train with the dining room chairs.

I stare in wonder at the mess, at the beautiful, endless mess. I listen carefully to the noise of my children playing, full of laughter and quarrels, an ordinary afternoon.

And then my husband walks through the door. He is carrying flowers for my birthday. Today is my birthday. I am thirty years old. And I have been granted a gift: a precious, priceless gift. Today, I know what I have.

carrot

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 12:05 am
"Live as if you were living for the second time and had acted as wrongly the first time as you are about to act now."

- Victor Frankl

so Mandy you definitely got the right idea from my post!

But now since my post helped you think of this, I guess I can post some more even if it's slightly off topic?

I am thinking that this story kind of makes it seem that old people are something seperate from us. ("whew! it was only a dream!") but really, they are not something seperate from us, like another species. they ARE us, in a few more years.

Iy'h, we will all eventually be 90... I hope it is not all sadness and regrets! Because we will all fail in something... I hope old age is not just reliving sadness and regrets, and constant loneliness.

Mandy

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 9:35 am
Carrot, I agree with your post. I also was a little bothered by the sad thoughts of the ninety year old woman. What I got from this story, however, was that if we appreciate what we have now ( however hard that may be ) our old age will be that much more satisfying b/c we won't feel like we missed out. I think that's a good message.

supermom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 2:27 pm
is she ninety or thirty I am confused? Confused

queen

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 3:26 pm

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 10:25 pm
that's great. a perfect thing to read as my b-day ends... Smile appreciate every day...all yoru blessings

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 11:11 pm
happy b-day brachad

and many more
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics