Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Need Perspective - Potty Training

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:56 am
My 3 year old has been potty trained during the day for about 3 months. He has been having accidents, both pee and poop, every few days for the last few weeks. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal, or if it's laziness on his part, and how I should handle it. We have put together a sticker chart where he can earn a prize if he goes a number of days with no accidents. I have also told him that he will have to wear a diaper for the rest of the day when he has an accident, but I'm not sure if that's fair of me or not (he is not happy about the idea of wearing a diaper during the day, though he does wear one at night). I'm not sure what's normal here - my older son potty trained older and never really had accidents. Any helpful suggestions?

5mom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:12 am
I'm not sure what "the last few weeks"means, but the schedule disruptions of the yom tovim can be very stressful for a child who thrives on routine. That can be enough to cause setbacks in toilet training. I would wait for a bit after things return to normal before being concerned.

gibberish

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:20 am
Regression is very normal. Please do not put a diaper on him. Go back to the incentives. Reward him every time he goes on the potty. I find that those rewards work much better than not letting him get a reward if he messes up once or twice during the day.

Please be positive. This stage will pass.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:47 am
Thank you gibberish and 5mom - I am sure you are right. I will try the incentives with more regularity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training