Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Cleaner on yomtov

MommyEsty

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 1:47 pm
what do you do when you have a cleaner coming on yom tov?
does she do regular stuff? can I tell her to 'do the floor' and let her figure out if she should hoover or not? same with moping...

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 1:59 pm
A Jew can only ask a non-Jew to do something for them on Shabbos/ Yomtov if the Jew is allowed to do it himself. That includes arranging with them before as well.

However if there is a permissable way to do the action, it is of no further consequence to the Jew how the non-Jew does it.

So there is no way to clean a carpet/ floor on Yomtov, but you can ask a non-Jew to wash the dishes and provide them with a scrubber which is allowed to use and then it is irrelevant if they decide to use a sponge and hot water because they prefer it.

Please ask a rav for details, because the halachas are very complex and many people don't know them.

Have you considered cancelling your cleaner that week?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 7:22 am
My cleaning lady comes every Thursday so she knows what to do. therefore, when she comes on Yom Tov, I don't need to give her instructions, except to keep the lights on that were already on. And I don't let her vacuum.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 8:20 am
It's not to do with giving instructions. You are not allowed to have a non-Jew do any issur for you on Shabbos/ Yom-tov even if you never said anything to them, ever. Unless, as I mentioned, there is a muttar way to do the same action and THEY chose to do it another way.

And if they did it without you asking them (say you have a non-Jew in your house and they saw you sitting in a room, reading in the dark, and they switched the light on for you) you are not allowed to benefit from the melacha.

Please ask your rov, because I know many people have mistaken ideas about this.

chen

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 9:46 am
shalhevet wrote:
A Jew can only ask a non-Jew to do something for them on Shabbos/ Yomtov if the Jew is allowed to do it himself. That includes arranging with them before as well.

Explain, then, the widespread phenomenon of the Shabbos [gentile].

shalhevet

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 9:58 am
chen wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Explain, then, the widespread phenomenon of the Shabbos [gentile].

Whoops - you're right, chen.
It's allowed for certain conditions - eg for a choleh she'ain bo sakana - someone sick but not in danger, but not something like a headache. A child under 9 is always considered a choleh she'ain bo sakana. Also if it is extremely hot or cold anyone is considered as such which makes it permissible to have a [gentile] come to turn on heating or AC. I don't remember the exact conditions but that's the general principle.

But... that does not allow a [gentile] to do your laundry, vacuum, clean the floors, wash the walls and whatever (or even take out the garbage if there's no eruv).

In fact it's also assur for there to be a noise in your house which sounds like chilul Shabbos, so it's forbidden for a Jew to say, turn on a dryer or washing machine before Shabbos that will continue to operate on Shabbos.

Like I said, everyone needs to consult with a rav, because the halachos are very complicated and not well known. I'm not sure if I have everything right here and if there are other opinions.

happymom

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 10:05 am
I asked a rav, and this is what he told me. she can do everything just NOT vaccuum and u should TELL HER NOT to vacuum

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 6:29 pm
There are very good, clear English seforim on this inyan.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 5:32 pm
thank goodness I don't have one.... can't afford one anyways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur