Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Meeting today?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:36 am
I work in a small mostly not-Jewish preschool I work in my own small office and go about my duties mostly independent of the school (I deal with evaluations) per my job description. When I have appointments with outside people coming in, I mostly know in advance, so I dress-up (make-up/shaitel/nicer clothes). When I have my own work to do and not expecting anything going on I dress a little more casually and I will more likely wear a beret/hat to be more comfortable. No one has ever made any sort of comments or expressed any concern--I'm not worried about it.

I've been at my job for almost a year now, and while I see the director fairly frequently, several "meetings" have been proposed, but never came to fruition. I've gone about my job duties, and in my opinion, I've been doing fine. We've had casual conversations over the course of the year and usually a daily "hi" as my mailbox is located in her office. But we haven't had any formal meetings.

Anyway, I was in bed most of Shabbos and Sunday with a cold. I knew today was just a paperwork day so I just threw on a black sweater and black skirt. My eyes are a little puffy, and my nose is still running and I sound "stuffy"--but wasn't worth calling in sick b/c I didn't think anyone would bother me, and I just used up my available days for yom tov.

I get an email this morning, that my director wants to have a meeting with me to discuss "additional responsibilities". This meeting COULD happen today, but she didn't specify when (she knows my schedule is usually flexible). Should I try to get a "rain check" for this meeting until I'm feeling a little better?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:44 am
I would respond that you would love to meet but you are a bit under the weather and want to give the meeting the full attention it deserves. Something like that.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:51 am
It's not usually a good idea to put off a meeting when you're summoned by a superior unless you have a previous obligation. However, if your director didn't say that she wants to see you today, ask her when she would like to meet. If she doesn't suggest a time, you can suggest a time tomorrow or the day after. You definitely don't want to ask for a vague "raincheck". That's what you do when a friend invites you to go for coffee or to come for Shabbos, not when your boss asks to see you.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:01 am
Thanks for the responses. The thing is that she has proposed meetings in the past, but then they don't come to be--I can think of at least 2-3 times that this has happened before. Right before Yom Kippur she told me that she "wanted to speak with me, but it can wait until Thursday". But that meeting never took place.

I do have stuff to work on today, should I be "proactive" about this--and tell her I'd like to meet another time (I.e. "I'm busy today, maybe tomorrow?")or since she didn't tell me to respond with a time, that I should just wait until actually summoned? She is basically my only superior/supervisor at work.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:34 pm
I would respond with an email outlining dates and times that you are available and ask her which works best.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 1:05 pm
So it's already after 1pm and she hasn't mentioned anything to me and the few times I've passed by her office she's been meeting with other people. She has passed by my office and should've noticed me in mine, but hasn't said anything to me today. At this point should I just "let it go" and try tomorrow?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics