Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone know about Sinai Schools or Shefa School?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 12:36 am
Wondering whether they are a good program for a very smart, academically advanced child with functional difficulties related to ASD. Slow to transition and follow directions, getting a little lost in large mainstream class, in need of social/emotional support. Wondering if there is any Jewish program that's a good fit for this.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 9:32 am
ive been looking for years for something like this. I havent found a program that fits my ds so he is in a mainstream yeshiva with lots of support.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 10:03 am
The frum community is in desperate need for a program like this, and to my knowledge, they don't really exist.

It's worth calling Sinai and asking about the composition of the class he would be in. You would also need to know which mainstream school he would be in, and to what extent they can/will mainstream him. Whether he would need a shadow in the classroom makes a big difference. If not, he can get sent to whichever classes work for him and receive support and therapy afterwards and before. If he needs the shadow, I know the YNJ program has that, but not extensively.

Sinai is not an ABA program. They don't do that. They are happy to work with an ABA therapist you have privately.

Most people with kids like this try the mainstream route, with support (including a shadow as necessary.)

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 1:43 pm
I don't think Shefa will take a child with ASD. YESS in Queens, though not designed for children like this, has had a few. Most went to mainstream after a few years.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 3:34 pm
Please tell me more about YESS. I never heard of it.

I do not want a shadow in mainstream. my child is bright and confident right now and I don't want her to be stuck in a place where she's just making it with help. I teach and I've seen many kids go that route and I think it's tragic. they never truly reach their potential that way and they go into adulthood without any idea what they're capable of or even interested in because mainstream yeshiva s just don't give them that.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 3:48 pm
My friend's son is at Sinai and thriving bh. He has a non verbal learning disorder, which manifests similarly to Aspergers. He's also smart and did horribly at a mainstream day school. Sinai has been amazing for him but the cost. Omg the cost.
Call them and see.
Hatzlacha

mommy08

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:15 pm
OP, can you please PM me. I have a child who sounds similar to yours and we are struggling with what to do with him/her and would like to know what you ended up doing. Thanks!

panda1

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:50 pm
Yess (yeshiva education special students)is a very good program. It’s in the same building as yeshiva central queens and they try hard to mainstream. Recess, lunch and sport programs are also integradted. People also liked manahatten day school and it follows a similar model. Shefa is very specific. Language based learning disabilities only, no behavioral concerns.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:54 pm
Shefa is specifically for kids with language disorders IIRC, they will not take anyone without a language-related diagnosis.

I heard AMAZING things about Sinai from people who sent there for different reasons, but when I was looking for a place for an academically advanced ASD-ish kid, it didn't seem like it would fit for them - but that could have been something more individual, I know they do coordinate closely with the gen ed school so maybe something could be worked out. I think they also have a small group so it partly depends on who they get each year; if it's a less intellectual group then the advanced ASD won't do as well but maybe some years they get more intellectual kids with other types of disabilities.

I remember hearing that a different NJ school has a class with a more similar goal to yours - I think it was called transitional? Don't remember which school it was.

The academically advanced but functionally challenged are the next big frontier our educational system needs to face. So much progress has been made in so many areas, and this is emerging as the next missing piece.

There is a fairly new school in Boro Park called Hadran that opened with this specific mission but it is only for boys and I think begins with high school, maybe junior high? Last year was the first group and I heard they did very well. I know the person who started it because we worked on some earlier special ed projects together, and I can vouch that they are extremely professional.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:27 pm
Yes, this group is underserved. And you habe a girl- that's going to make it harder. Most girls end up staying in mainstream, and sometimes it works and sometimes not.

In the world of mainstream, I would check out Yeshivat Noam in NJ. Smaller classes, good with multiple types of learning and kids who don't always fit the mold. I don't know how they would work with a behaviorist, but you can ask. If you don't have a behaviorist, and your insurance covers it, I would start in getting one, regardless of school placement.

In terms of Sinai, I would check in with them about their different programs, who is incoming or currently in the class, and what they can organize in each place. YNJ has shadows, but I get the impression that they're more able to ask mainstream teachers to accommodate in Kushner.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:33 pm
I would NOT recommend Yeshivat Noam for a child which the OP describes. They do not do well with children with behavior issues unless they are on meds or have their own shadow. They are willing to work with a behaviorist if the behaviorist can perform magic over night. Yes they have smaller groups/classes, but it's not always out of the classroom which some kids needs. Academically, they do cater to children on different levels.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
I would NOT recommend Yeshivat Noam for a child which the OP describes. They do not do well with children with behavior issues unless they are on meds or have their own shadow. They are willing to work with a behaviorist if the behaviorist can perform magic over night. Yes they have smaller groups/classes, but it's not always out of the classroom which some kids needs. Academically, they do cater to children on different levels.

Fair enough. I haven't sent there; I only know from friends.

Most mainstream schools don't want these kids without support, and you don't want that, for understandable reasons. Dd's age is actually pretty important here. Are you willing to share?

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
Fair enough. I haven't sent there; I only know from friends.

Most mainstream schools don't want these kids without support, and you don't want that, for understandable reasons. Dd's age is actually pretty important here. Are you willing to share?

There are no mainstream schools other than YNJ/Sinai who cater to these kids.

I'm not the OP, just another annon mom! But the OP posted this awhile ago so I'm curious to know where the child is now and how it's going!

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:47 pm
Bump.
I'm on similar situation.
Any updates?
I'm unfortunately kinda desperate at this point

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 12:18 am
what about IVDU? no clue how its now but my sis was there a couple of years ago

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 1:06 am
It's far from us.
We live in Monsey and he's only 10

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 6:52 pm
There's an agency called Encore which provides ABA and educational therapists. They work with your insurance company. Services are provided in school and at home(I think). Main office is in Brooklyn but have another office in Teaneck.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 7:49 pm
I don't understand y you're responding about an ABA agency.
I'm looking for a school

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand y you're responding about an ABA agency.
I'm looking for a school

Hadran (the school that seeker mentioned) is actually under the auspices of Encore. But I’m pretty sure that it’s only for bar mitzvah age and up. I also believe that is a chassidish yeshiva, but I could be wrong.

Sorry I don’t have anything helpful to add. Good luck!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:08 pm
It's mainly revolving around ABA?
Is it in Monsey?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)