Home

Anyone know about Sinai Schools or Shefa School?
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:39 pm
I need a lawyer who would handle this.
Unfortunately it didn't seem promising. The ones I called and Sinai....
I have two children with totally different schooling needs.
I never actually went to court but my son was in Public school and it's a sad situation.
I need to find out how other parents do this.
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:00 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I need a lawyer who would handle this.
Unfortunately it didn't seem promising. The ones I called and Sinai....
I have two children with totally different schooling needs.
I never actually went to court but my son was in Public school and it's a sad situation.
I need to find out how other parents do this.


You can call EASE. They are educational advocates that many Jewish parents in your situation get help from. They are located in Brooklyn, so they may not be able to help you in NJ themselves. However, they may know who can help you in NJ. Their number is (718) 252-6682. This is all they do.

Have you asked other parents in your community that have similar issues? Maybe they know what you can do.
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:04 pm
Thank you so much

I thought I knew everything about this subject by now.....
I will call iyh
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:04 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I feel like monsey is a different issue.east ramapo
But if it's a state thing then how can you prove the kid needs a Jewish school and not public school?
I'm dealing with this for many years.
My son was in public school till this year.
When I decided I had enough.


Your desire to have your child in a Jewish school is irrelevant to the state. As it must be, given separation of church and state.

But you can show that his educational needs are not being met at his current school, and ask that he be placed in a setting that will meet his needs.

The best site to educate yourself (IMNSHO) is https://www.wrightslaw.com/

If you're interested in Sinai, go back to them, talk to them, see if its a good fit. Then ask them if they can provide you with help in getting the DOE to pay. An educational advocate is likely to know how to best address these issues, in a way that the rest of us don't. (You can ask if you can consult with one to see if they think its worth pursuing.)

Good luck!!!
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:07 pm
He was in three different public schools.
One was good the other two terrible.
They don't have what he needs here but my strength to fight has been depleted.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:09 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
He was in three different public schools.
One was good the other two terrible.
They don't have what he needs here but my strength to fight has been depleted.


Does he have an IEP?
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:11 pm
Yes
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:12 pm
I have a child in Sinai. They will tell you which lawyers to use and help walk you through the process. Nobody is paying anywhere near sticker price. I'm paying about $3k more than what I pay for my children in mainstream yeshivas.
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:14 pm
Has anyone here dealt with this?
Anyone from Monsey? Someone I can pm?
I hate writing all this on a public forum
I can't have him back in public school.
And that's what might happen
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:15 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I have a child in Sinai. They will tell you which lawyers to use and help walk you through the process. Nobody is paying anywhere near sticker price. I'm paying about $3k more than what I pay for my children in mainstream yeshivas.


But I'm sure you don't live in my district
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:20 pm
Here goes- I've posted this before..
Now I'm not anonymous anymore


How to explain
This huge tragedy
My wonderful community
Has no school for me

Of course there are schools
A dime a dozen around
But not for my specific needs
And no one makes a sound

I am smart, intelligent
In many ways more than most
But just because of my specific needs
There's no school who wants to host?

To Brooklyn Lakewood or Queens
should my parents send me?
Or public school where till now I've been?
That's not where I should be

I have been to three of them
And my needs have not been met
It was not an easy time
To be the one picked on

So many that live here
Are in public school
Where is the outcry
For OUR needs and tools?

I also want to be
With kids just like me
Who play and learn together
Daven and feel free

At the moment as sad as it is
I have no school to attend
So at home I stay for now
And my mom's my only friend

I am 12 years old
My mother's at my side
She shed many many tears
On this journey, on my ride

She davens all the time
And begs for someone to help
But as of now there is no place
For me and my needs to be met

No longer is she willing
To see me in a school
Where learning Torah is unheard of
And I'm the only Jew

I proudly wore my yarmulka
And my tzitzis too
And when the other kids asked why
I said "cause I'm a Jew"

But where are all the outcries
For kids who are capable
Who are just missing some extra help
So they can become successful

Of course there are schools available
If my parents were millionaires
Currently that's not the case
Maybe in the coming years

Is there a lack of funds?
There are so many organizations
Why oh why must this burden fall
On parents begging for donations

In the Jewish world
For many many years
It was the responsibility on the community
To avoid these unnecessary tears

To make sure each child
Has a place to learn
Because we don't know what he'll be one day
For the best WE ALL yearn

Some of you might say
"What is the big deal?"
But think of your own children
When you judge my ordeal

Would you like to place your own
In a non Jewish school?
Everyone has their issues
Believe me I'm no fool

How many stories have we heard
Of children who were once labeled
And only because someone believed in them
Did they grow and become abled

I guess it is my mother
Who refuses to give up on me
Because only she knows the truth
I'm capable as can be

I have a precious Neshama
Like all the kids known to you
But why must it be so hard
To grow up like a Jew

Please hear our cries
And do whatever you can
I don't want to go back to public school
We need another plan
Back to top

amother




Blonde
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I have a child in Sinai. They will tell you which lawyers to use and help walk you through the process. Nobody is paying anywhere near sticker price. I'm paying about $3k more than what I pay for my children in mainstream yeshivas.


This. Did you say you took him for an interview? Did you ask them about the financials and BOE compensation? Sinai has a very good NJ based lawyer they work with for their cases. I don't know who NY parents use, but I imagine Sinai does, or the lawyer does, especially since Sinai now has a NY based school. Also, fyi, many parents get scholarships on the tuition that is left to pay after the BOE covers what they cover.

Re the standard for getting him there vs public, it's the same in NJ as NY. Sinai's lawyer knows how to make this case. In terms of appropriate and adequate, religion doesn't matter, but sometimes culture does. I know someone who got out because all the teachers in the public school hax very noticeable accents, and the child had a language based disability. Most often, the public schools are inadequate, either from lack of resources or because the government often requires every school to try to cover every type, which is impossible.
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
This. Did you say you took him for an interview? Did you ask them about the financials and BOE compensation? Sinai has a very good NJ based lawyer they work with for their cases. I don't know who NY parents use, but I imagine Sinai does, or the lawyer does, especially since Sinai now has a NY based school. Also, fyi, many parents get scholarships on the tuition that is left to pay after the BOE covers what they cover.

Re the standard for getting him there vs public, it's the same in NJ as NY. Sinai's lawyer knows how to make this case. In terms of appropriate and adequate, religion doesn't matter, but sometimes culture does. I know someone who got out because all the teachers in the public school hax very noticeable accents, and the child had a language based disability. Most often, the public schools are inadequate, either from lack of resources or because the government often requires every school to try to cover every type, which is impossible.


Yes I spoke with their lawyer department.
I will call again.
Anything can happen.
Back to top

Pooh




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:21 pm
Teal that poem hit home hard! Same story, no school for my child. She’s in public school now but next year she has nowhere to go.

To the people thinking about pathways, it’s a great school! My son has flourished there, it’s my proudest moment as a mother to have taken him out of mainstream and put him there!

To the ones thinking about Shefa- I went to see it for my daughter for whom no school exists to meet her specific needs, to see if they would accommodate and they were NOT willing to at all u less she fits their exact mold of language based learning disabilities, which she doesn’t have. Her brother does but from a religious standpoint I wouldn’t send him there, Pathway’s is more yeshivish but it’s still not the level we would hope since the children that attend come from all backgrounds.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

Page 4 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven

Related Topics Replies Last Post
High school suspends 22 girls for ticktoc
by amother
88 Yesterday at 10:26 pm View last post
Anyone tried EBMwigs?
by amother
0 Yesterday at 9:48 pm View last post
Not to make anyone feel bad...
by amother
47 Yesterday at 2:45 pm View last post
Teachers going to school dinner
by amother
9 Yesterday at 8:27 am View last post
Chessed program for children in school 3 Yesterday at 7:51 am View last post

Jump to: