Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
MILL BASIN!
Previous  1  2

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
What about kosher supermarket/s?

Would we have to travel to another neighborhood to get our weekly orders?

We have a small kosher supermarket, the Shuk. We use them weekly, but we still do a large shop at Moisha's once or twice a month for meat and other items that are well priced. Kosher Palace delivers to the area, too, and I believe Moisha's does but I'm not certain since we like picking out items in person.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
I am normal, yeshivish as well. My daughters go to bnos yisroel! There are not a lot of yeshivish families there now. Its mostly israeli or chabad, which is ok. But there is a big push for chaim Berlin families to move there. The houses are definitely more affordable. I couldn't touch Flatbush.

I just want to comment on this. The neighborhood is not mostly israeli or chabad. There are a lot of israelis, but they aren't a majority. There are tons of non jews, too. There are chabad houses, but generally not many chabadniks; I'd say they're an extreme minority. Aside from the secular israeli constituency, the breakup is largely traditional carpathian jews, modern orthodoxy, and a bunch of people who are jpf and don't label themselves.

Each block has its own flavor and everything in the Mill Basin area is walkable, so if you find something in your budget, I'd go for it. One caveat: verify from someone in the know that it's really in the Mill Basin area and not Old Mill Basin or Flatlands, if that's not what you're looking for. There were some cutoffs that I used when looking for a house after renting in the area for many years.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:47 pm
What are the borders of Mill Basin?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 11:15 am
nicole81 wrote:
I just want to comment on this. The neighborhood is not mostly israeli or chabad. There are a lot of israelis, but they aren't a majority. There are tons of non jews, too. There are chabad houses, but generally not many chabadniks; I'd say they're an extreme minority. Aside from the secular israeli constituency, the breakup is largely traditional carpathian jews, modern orthodoxy, and a bunch of people who are jpf and don't label themselves.

Each block has its own flavor and everything in the Mill Basin area is walkable, so if you find something in your budget, I'd go for it. One caveat: verify from someone in the know that it's really in the Mill Basin area and not Old Mill Basin or Flatlands, if that's not what you're looking for. There were some cutoffs that I used when looking for a house after renting in the area for many years.

You're right. I overgeneneralized. I'm buying before Ralph which I think over there is considered Flatlands.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
You're right. I overgeneneralized. I'm buying before Ralph which I think over there is considered Flatlands.

Amazing. If you feel comfortable, do you mind posting or pming me which block? I've been saying for years that flatlands will eventually fill in with frum jews. I wish I had the money to invest, and I know people who might be interested in buying. Cheaper housing, close to shuls and to Flatbush, within the eruv; it's a perfect location.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
What are the borders of Mill Basin?

If you look at a map, you can see the actual peninsula that's definitely considered the basin. Outside of that, I'd say mill Ave until e. 69th, and east of veterans Ave. Bergen Beach is north of 69th, and Georgetown is from the intersection of Ralph and bergen outward until Ave n and ralph and then up from Ralph until bergen Ave (the blocks are slanted). These areas are all pretty nice, and Georgetown and mill basin have the larger presence of frum families, although as I've said before, everything is walkable in the area.

Between Flatbush and mill Ave from u to maybe O is considered old mill basin and then past O below Ralph Ave is flatlands. There are some frum people in old mill basin and flatlands, but you'd be more of a pioneer.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:12 pm
Thanks for this information, Nicole!

Is Flatlands a ''safe'' neighborhood? Would my teens be safe to walk home late at night, or is that too risky?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 2:35 pm
Bump. Any updates?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 4:10 pm
Updates???

Supposedly, more frum families are supposed to be moving into the area. I know that many families were definitely interested but I haven't personally heard anyone specific that actually moved.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 4:23 pm
My frum therapist lives there. Smile

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
Updates???

Supposedly, more frum families are supposed to be moving into the area. I know that many families were definitely interested but I haven't personally heard anyone specific that actually moved.

More families have definitely moved in recently.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:37 pm
nicole81 wrote:
More families have definitely moved in recently.

Only a few...

sfynyc

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:22 pm
Any further updates? I’ve seen some homes for sale near Flatbush Av, south of Kings Highway is this area getting Jewish? My kids have some friends in the 20s and 30s but we can’t afford to be on that side of Flatbush Av. Where are the Shuls? We are Ashkenazi MO, old school Young Israel style, very live and let live. Our kids go to Yeshivah of Flatbush just for reference.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating