Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shabbos mode Refrigerator brand and model recommendation
Previous  1  2  3

SDmother

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 7:32 pm
Just got an email that star k is no longer certifying GE products and the OU has officially taken it over. Not sure why.

OP, if you can increase your budget I would highly recommend it. I bought what looks the same as the GE one you posted from their Cafe line and it was a peice of junk that broke within the first year. Thankfully was still under warranty. I bought this one instead and absolutely luv it:

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-.....w_wcB

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 9:29 pm
SDmother wrote:
Just got an email that star k is no longer certifying GE products and the OU has officially taken it over. Not sure why.

OP, if you can increase your budget I would highly recommend it. I bought what looks the same as the GE one you posted from their Cafe line and it was a peice of junk that broke within the first year. Thankfully was still under warranty. I bought this one instead and absolutely luv it:

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-.....w_wcB

I see its on AJ Madison for over $4,000 (people are putting in chinese kitchen cabinets for about that much, haha) does it get deeply discounted?

If not, is this the only fridge in this size that doesnt break?

tia

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 9:57 pm
Our ge is doing fine. We had it in our old house too, and we didn't have any major issues with it. (Only freezer fan issues because of taping the freezer buttons down because of shabbos. Which is another reason we're happy to have the shabbos keeper now)

But you buy a warrantee (another tax lol) and if anything goes wrong they fix it.

(And you can get 2 ge's for the price of that fridge. I can't imagine it lasts DOUBLE as long!)

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 10:20 pm
I’m trying to follow..
I have an expensive ge which has shabbos mode that I set every week.
Does the shabbos keeper make it better halachically or is it a convenience?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 10:43 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I’m trying to follow..
I have an expensive ge which has shabbos mode that I set every week.
Does the shabbos keeper make it better halachically or is it a convenience?

I believe both.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 10:50 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I believe both.

What halachic problem does it solve?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 10:52 pm
Whats the OU the Star K and the Blumenkrantz bok, recommending people buy now?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 10:57 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
What halachic problem does it solve?

I have no idea. I could be wrong.

https://www.zmantechnologies.c......html

Does your shabbos mode do everything listed here?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 10:54 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I have no idea. I could be wrong.

https://www.zmantechnologies.c......html

Does your shabbos mode do everything listed here?

So I looked into it as I have been using the ge cafe fridge shabbos mode. The shabbos keeper sets the fridge into shabbos mode but adds one more thing that the fridges shabbos mode doesn’t have. Not all rabbanim say it’s necessary so I will find out what my rav says. The extra feature that the shabbos keeper has is it completely deactivates the thermostat. So if the fridge door is open for a while, the motor won’t turn on. Many rabbanim are not makpid on this so I’ll find out what my rav says. It’s similar to opening the door to your house and the outside air might activate the thermostat. Obviously this is allowed as we keep our thermostats on over shabbos and open our doors. Maybe opening the fridge door is more direct. I’ll find out.
Otherwise the shabbos keeper is a very convenient (and expensive) device ensuring you never forget to set shabbos mode.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:21 am
Who told you the above info abt shabbos keeper versus shabbos mode ? Curious because I’m trying to confirm the differences and a popular store in Lkwd told me there’s no difference from the halachic perspective - it’s just that the shabbos keeper has a built in calendar plus the lights stay dimmed on shabbos instead of off. Your information sounds like it’s probably more accurate but would love to know your source.
Thanks!

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:26 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Who told you the above info abt shabbos keeper versus shabbos mode ? Curious because I’m trying to confirm the differences and a popular store in Lkwd told me there’s no difference from the halachic perspective - it’s just that the shabbos keeper has a built in calendar plus the lights stay dimmed on shabbos instead of off. Your information sounds like it’s probably more accurate but would love to know your source.
Thanks!

Probably from the same popular store in Lakewood 😁… I guess it depends who you speak with. We didn’t get much different info.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:40 am
We didn’t get the same information. You were told that the shabbos keeper actually does add a feature that is halachically preferable re the thermostat . I was told there is no halachic advantage . So confused now!

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 5:26 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
We didn’t get the same information. You were told that the shabbos keeper actually does add a feature that is halachically preferable re the thermostat . I was told there is no halachic advantage . So confused now!

Right- but it was also explained to me that most poskim do not believe that it’s necessary. We didn’t end up getting the keeper. It’s more for convenience. I put my fridge into shabbos mode myself every week.
It’s possible that since you called a few months after I did, they explain things differently now.
Why don’t you call a rav for clarification?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen