Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is cholent healthy?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:35 pm
I always thought cholent was healthy, what can be wrong with beans. Someone here posted recently that its not, so is it? what about pickles I munch on them all the time, it is a healthy veggy right?

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:37 pm
depends on you goals. it's not low calorie or low cholesterol but you might not need to be on a low calorie low cholesterol diet.

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:38 pm
pickles are low calorie but very high in sodium

Blue jay

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:53 pm
cholent has alot of saturated fat. Thanks to all those bones and fatty meat.

So if your watching cholestorol, dont eat too much.

However, cholent is very good at wrinkle prevention.
The broth from the bones is said to help your skin produce collagen.
Ofcourse dont use cholent as a night mask, but eat and enjoy in moderation.
which is hard for me to do
I really love cholent.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:54 pm
Beans and barley are very healthy foods. Trim the fat off the meat and your cholent will have less saturated fat.

Lani22

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:59 pm
It depends what you put in it. Skip the kishka, potatoes and fatty flanken. Stick to beans, barley, lean meat and it's fine. Not a diet food but not terrible in moderation.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 11:10 pm
Lani22 wrote:
It depends what you put in it. Skip the kishka, potatoes and fatty flanken. Stick to beans, barley, lean meat and it's fine. Not a diet food but not terrible in moderation.

I dont think OP has in mind a cholent with out potatos, kishka, or fatty meat. The meat needs the fat if its going to be in a slow cooker for that long and not dry out.

Op, there is a huge difference between "healthy" and ok to eat sometimes. Steamed Spinach = healthy. Mindfuly made cholent = ok to have a serving of on shabbos.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 11:14 pm
I do not consider cholent ''unhealthy''.

My cholent has kishke, potatoes, meat, chicken, and beans. I eat mostly beans, some potato and some kishke, and leave the rest to the rest of the family.

I eat lots of fruits and veggies, no breads or pasta at all. Just to give you an idea of how healthy I eat. Cholent is my ''nosh'' sort of. My healthy nosh.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 11:34 pm
Not everybody uses bones, fatty meat and starchy kishke in their cholent. I love naturally good for you cholent. And lean meats cooked low and slow in there come out awesome. In my home growing up cholent was always natural and always considered healthy. My sister would feed it to her little ones shabbos morning Smile

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:15 am
Help me figure please. Barley I should have very little because Im already eating challah and I must lose many many pounds.
Meat is cholesterol. I have high cholesterol. Beans are bad for my liver. Thats another diagnosis. My family has regular cholent. Its time to make my own again. Mushrooms? What else? Im not allowed too much callories and no food that makes gassy and no cholesterol.Only a little salt because of high Blood pressure. Maybe soy? How do I prepare? Carrots? I think turnip was OK last time

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:18 am
If you add processed stuff like onion soup mix, bar-b-q sauce, franks - than it's unhealthy. Also processed kishka is probably unhealthy.

But beans, meat and barley is healthy.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:20 am
If you make (or buy) unpasteurized naturally fermented pickles - that's very healthy. Full of pro-biotics.

Processed pickles are low calorie but high in sodium.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:25 am
I consider mine healthy. I make mine Pareve (unless I have company, since no one here likes the meat), with just beans barley and potatoes, spices. I don't use any sauces. I feed it to my kids for breakfast Shabbos morning as well as for lunch.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:37 am
When I was hunting for a cholent recipe that wouldn’t put me to sleep for the rest of the day I discovered chamin (Sephardi style)

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:41 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
When I was hunting for a cholent recipe that wouldn’t put me to sleep for the rest of the day I discovered chamin (Sephardi style)

What's your recipe?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:30 am
OP, re pickles (yum!) - if you munch on them all the time, remember that they're acidic and could cause dental issues - maybe ask your dentist for advice?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 3:43 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Help me figure please. Barley I should have very little because Im already eating challah and I must lose many many pounds.
Meat is cholesterol. I have high cholesterol. Beans are bad for my liver. Thats another diagnosis. My family has regular cholent. Its time to make my own again. Mushrooms? What else? Im not allowed too much callories and no food that makes gassy and no cholesterol.Only a little salt because of high Blood pressure. Maybe soy? How do I prepare? Carrots? I think turnip was OK last time

Every Thursday I make Shabbos meals for an elderly couple, who are vegan.

Their cholent can vary according to what's in season, but the base is usually brown rice and red lentils, maybe a can of butter beans if they are in the mood.

Instead of meat they have a mix of veggies that are fresh, like bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms, as well as zucchini, potato, sweet potato, carrots, and celery. A bit of olive oil adds a nice touch, but not too much. You don't want it greasy.

They can't have more than a pinch of salt for the whole pot, but all the spices they want. They are huge fans of paprika. It's not like a vegetable soup, it comes out more like a very thick stew. You can stand a fork up in it. Basically, focus more on the veggies, and less on the grains. (I have IBS, and this works well for me.)

I find that a lot of Ashkenazim add sugar to their cholent, and I'm not a fan of that. I like it a bit spicier, like hamim. Soy sauce has a lot of sodium, unless you are specifically getting the low sodium brand. Braggs spice mix is a nice way to mix up the flavors, and so are the different varieties of Mrs. Dash.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:00 am
I vote not healthy. I gain two pounds every time I make cholent and I don’t even eat the potatoes! It takes me 2-3 weeks of strict dieting to get those pounds off, which is why I do not make cholent very often.

I use lean meat. I do brown it in some oil and then deglaze the pan with wine, and then add all that to the Crockpot, but it’s maybe 2 tablespoons for a whole cholent. I’m not sure if the problem is that portion control is hard to do with cholent, or if somehow all that long, slow cooking makes it easier for my body to extract maximum calories from it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:03 am
Very.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:33 am
We make a "fake" cholent for my diabetic FIL with kolorahbi, beans, lean meat, and some coffee for color.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking