Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Oil painting classes

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:26 pm
I contacted someone locally who advertised she is giving classes, and she is charging $50 for a two hour class. I thought that was very expensive. How does oil painting compare to regular drawing, watercolors classes, etc.? I am a beginner, and have never taken any sort of art class at all. Can someone advise please? Tia!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 3:25 pm
That doesn't sound so expensive to me, for any kind of professional grade classes.
But if it's expensive relative to your budget, I have found that youtube offers a lot in the way of teaching many skills. I got myself a decent start in acrylics that way, I think, if I may say so myself.
Each medium has its own unique properties, so oil painting is not going to be similar to watercolor or to drawing, but that doesn't mean it's harder or more complicated. Some basic principles will feel familiar if you have taken other fine arts before (e.g. composition and color theory), but techniques are different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics