Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ASPARAGUS STEAMED IN A PAPER BAG

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:59 pm
Easy way to prepare asparagus - just open the bag and serve.

ASPARAGUS STEAMED IN A PAPER BAG

Excerpt From: Tyler Florence - Tyler's Ultimate

I BUY ASPARAGUS AT THE GROCERY STORE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE and yes, there are a million ways to cook it. But this recipe is the easiest way I know to really maximize its flavor.

When you blanch asparagus, a lot of the nutrients and flavor get leached out into the water, leaving the asparagus relatively bland tasting. But when it’s steamed in the oven in a small container like a paper bag with extra-virgin olive oil, thinly sliced lemon, and a bay leaf to season it, the flavor explodes. After it’s been in the oven for 20 minutes, I take the brown bag to the table and give it two shakes, and the asparagus falls out. It’s bright green and perfectly steamed with an incredibly fresh flavor.

SERVES 4

1 pound medium asparagus, tough ends trimmed
Extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
½ lemon, sliced paper-thin
1 bay leaf

Preheat the oven to 350°F and arrange an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Get yourself a paper bag large enough to hold the asparagus comfortably. Throw the asparagus in there and drizzle the outside of the bag with olive oil to keep the bag from burning. Sprinkle the asparagus with salt and cracked pepper and toss in the lemon slices and bay leaf. Close the bag, folding it over several times and creasing the folds well to hold the steam in. Put the bag on a baking sheet, drizzle it with more olive oil, stick it in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes.

Take the baking sheet out of the oven and set it on top of the stove. Set a serving plate next to the stove. Using a kitchen towel or a pair of tongs, raise the bag over the plate, open the bag, and slide the asparagus out onto the plate. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve hot.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:12 pm
I definitely want to try this. Thanks!

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:27 pm
what type of paper bag ? I cant envision this

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:41 pm
Just a brown bag to fit the asparagus. It's the same idea as when they sell oven bags.

You could always wrap in parchment paper but that's a bit more of a hassle or even wrap in tin foil but loosely. The idea is that you are steaming and roasting at the same time.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:45 pm
No. the temperature isn't high enough and the asparagus creates moisture as it cooks. Parchment paper doesn't burn either.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:50 pm
Amarante wrote:
No. the temperature isn't high enough and the asparagus creates moisture as it cooks. Parchment paper doesn't burn either.

I deleted my post because I realized after that you wrote to drizzle the bag with olive oil to prevent burning.

I actually have had parchment paper burn a few times( if the piece was too big and it was sticking out of the aluminum pan or sheet) that's why I asked.

In any case I am definitely going to try this. Asparagus is a favorite around here and the flavors look delicious!

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:53 pm
cnc wrote:
I deleted my post because I realized after that you wrote to drizzle the bag with olive oil to prevent burning.

I actually have had parchment paper burn a few times( if the piece was too big and it was sticking out of the aluminum pan or sheet) that's why I asked.

In any case I am definitely going to try this. Asparagus is a favorite around here and the flavors look delicious!

I was thinking of when parchment paper is used to wrap food that is then baked in the oven. It's a pretty classic way to cook food especially fish or chicken breast that can get dried. You put the protein, some veggies and a bit of sauce and flavorings and wrap and while everything cooks together the flavors meld and the protein remains moist from the veggie juices.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:55 pm
Amarante wrote:
I was thinking of when parchment paper is used to wrap food that is then baked in the oven. It's a pretty classic way to cook food especially fish or chicken breast that can get dried. You put the protein, some veggies and a bit of sauce and flavorings and wrap and while everything cooks together the flavors meld and the protein remains moist from the veggie juices.

I never heard of this method.
It sounds brilliant! How do I ensure that the parchment stays closed and nothing leaks? Do you place the whole package into a pan after it's wrapped?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:06 pm
cnc wrote:
I never heard of this method.
It sounds brilliant! How do I ensure that the parchment stays closed and nothing leaks? Do you place the whole package into a pan after it's wrapped?

Here's one YouTube that can be helpful. There are many ways to fold your parchment and lots more YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTuUf-MO_T0

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:06 pm
it's easy to do but hard to explain. You just create a package.

The fancy name is en Papilotte.

This is a video for two servings of fish but it should give you an idea of how you seal the edges by folding them around. You can google for more videos and recipes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXlO9WhcBGM

Really can be done with any flavors you like. Pesto goes well With Mediterranean veggies

ETA and yes you do place the packages on a sheet pan to cook. If you do individual packages, it makes a great presentation for a dinner when the packages are snipped open. Also easy because you can prep ahead of time and you essentially have created a meal in one with protein, veggies and sauce. All your u need is a carb side to complete and it can be a simple rice pilau or even just smashed potatoes.

madys

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:56 pm
I know this is kinda old, but I found it last week and made the asparagus for Friday night - it was AMAZING!!!

Just wanted to say thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics