Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
When do you check mezuzah in your home?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:27 pm
Does anyone know how often we are supposed to check our mezuzah?

Also hep does it and how much does it cost?

I have a lot of bad things happening to me right now so I was thinking to have my mezuzos checked. Does this make any sense or am I over reacting?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:35 pm
Twice every 7 years

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:43 am
What does it mean twice every seven years so does that mean three and a half years?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 2:06 am
amother wrote:
What does it mean twice every seven years so does that mean three and a half years?

Yes, that's how it comes out.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:20 am
lymnok, can you tell why that specific amount? Im jsut now thinking about how I dont think we ever got our mezuzot checked.
So, you stam have them checked, even if everything in life is going BH ok?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:25 am
There are halachos, I don't know the details. Dh runs a mezuzah gemach, so he needs to know.
Checking them has no relationship with bad things happening or not. I mean it doesn't hurt to check if you feel the loss of shmira that a mezuzah is supposed to bring.
Dh mentioned once something about not needing to check one that is very protected. (Can't get banged, no moisture can get in, etc.).

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:56 am
Do you Know how much it cost to check
Mezuzos?

And most people when they check it are the mezuzos okay or is it normal for mezuzos to get ruined just sitting on door post?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:29 am
Every 3.5 years. If I remember correctly, it costs about $8 per mezuzah.
Most of the time the mezuzahs are OK when checked often and if a letter starts to fade they can deal with it right away.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 9:57 am
Thanks. How do I find someone who checks mezuzos?

mamita

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 10:06 am
The Lubavitcher Rebbe says that since Mezuzah is shemira.. When you are at home and on your way.. It is important to ensure that your "guard" is in good health. Checking regularly. And the tefillin. Hachai has a kids book that explains this concept very clearly called Take Care of Me.
There are many thousands of stories IRL in connection with this concept.
I know that Lubavitchers check tefillin and mezuzos before Rosh hashana each year and during pregnancy. And any times that there might be an issue.
One has to also check how the parchment is placed in its casing. How it is positioned on the door. And ensure that no doorways are missing. This is something that a halachic expert in these matters would know. I know that there is a place in Crown Heights that do virtual tours of your house to help ensure that the correct doorways have mezuzos and they are properly placed

mamita

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 10:14 am
You can Google the contact info for merkaz stam in crown heights.
If you dont live locally they could help you find a reputable one local

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 10:18 am
Every 3.5 years. My DH is a sofer and definitely finds cracked letters and other issues. One friend of ours bought beautiful mehudar mezuozos and rolled them himself. He smooshed them so badly it was such a nebach. He charges anywhere from $8-12 dollars based on different factors. We are in the midwest but I can give you the names of sofrim in NY/NJ if you needed.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 8:50 pm
Who checks in midwood?

sky

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 8:55 pm
Every 4 years approx. we pay the sofer extra to take them down and put back up same day.
I think we replaced one outdoor mezuzah once and it could be one indoor mezuzah. We just checked third time since moved in.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 9:01 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Who checks in midwood?

Sofer
1644 E 3rd St
(718) 375-1793

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:36 am
livinginflatbus wrote:
Who checks in midwood?

https://jwiz.com/jewish/rabbi-......html
https://www.tiferes.com/about_us

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:41 am
Thanks for posting this. It reminded me - ours are quite overdue being checked. Thumbs Up

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:03 am
From sofrim I used to know, I learned that the 3.5 year thing is a myth. Opening it up that often makes it MORE likely that the mezuzah will get damaged and worn faster. A properly cared for mezuzah, once it is ascertained to be kosher in the first place, is almost certain to remain kosher for many years if you keep it plastic-wrapped in its case. So if your mezuzahs have never been checked by a sofer you personally verified, then have them checked - once. After that, I guess AYLOR but you can keep them on your wall for a very long time unless you have a flood or something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions