Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Charm what exactly is it?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 12:24 pm
Aidelkeit as one person said in another post is refinement not charm. So now for a dumb question but serious l want to know what do you mean by when speaking or dealing w/h man or woman you have/use charm Confused ( this is conc another threads post, thopught it would be an interesting discussion) Exclamation
Uhhh so do I make any sense what so ever Rolling Eyes

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 12:38 pm
Freilich, if you are asking about the difference between aidelkeit and charm: Aidelkeit is a passive midda. It is something that you see in a person, it is a reflection. It means gentleness, refinement. An aidel person will not scream and yell in public, not because they consciously decided not to and decided to work on it, but because they don't feel that it is what's done. An aidel person will say "please" and "excuse me" automatically.
Charm is a conscious decision to portray the your personality in a positive manner, and is used many times in situations to get something you want. A person will joke around with a policeman so that they will like them, with the goal of not getting a ticket. An aidel person will not, as they will feel that it is not acceptable to speak so much in a personal manner to a strange man. Most people have a balance of these midos, with one dominating. They are not opposites - just 2 different things.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 12:47 pm
Quote:
A person will joke around with a policeman so that they will like them, with the goal of not getting a ticket.

Aha I knew I wasn't totaly off key Thank-You Very Happy So isn't this flirting and is it allowed Confused I asked this b/4 in another thread and they said it's adelkeit/ chein Confused

roza

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 12:57 pm
from Merriam -Webster online
Quote:

Main Entry: 1charm
Pronunciation: 'ch�rm
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English charme, from Middle French, from Latin carmen song, from canere to sing -- more at CHANT
1 a : the chanting or reciting of a magic spell : INCANTATION b : a practice or expression believed to have magic power
2 : something worn about the person to ward off evil or ensure good fortune : AMULET
3 a : a trait that fascinates, allures, or delights b : a physical grace or attraction -- used in plural c : compelling attractiveness <the island possessed great charm>
4 : a small ornament worn on a bracelet or chain
5 : a quantum characteristic of subatomic particles that accounts for the unexpectedly long lifetime of the J/psi particle, explains difficulties in the theory of the weak force, is conserved in interactions involving electromagnetism or the strong force, and has a value of zero for most known particles

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 2:40 pm
Roza,
you defined charm - the noun. I think that in this context it is being used as a verb: acting charming.
from dictionary.com:
charmed, charm·ing, charms
v. tr.
To attract or delight greatly: the simple elegance of the meal charmed the guests.
To induce by using strong personal attractiveness: charmed the guard into admitting them without invitations.
To cast or seem to cast a spell on; bewitch.

v. intr.
To be alluring or pleasing.
To function as an amulet or charm.
To use magic spells.
For all the non Harry Potter people, ignore the ones about magical spells.

Rivka

Post Sat, Jul 23 2005, 7:54 pm
Charm, something you don't have...sorry was dying to say that...}:>

Mommy912

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 12:47 am
Huh?

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 12:17 am
I know someone who has charm
from what I see someone who has charm can captivate people no matter what they say or do. they are admired almost instantly. They arent neccasarily the smartest or brightest yet people are attracted to them

deedee

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 12:13 pm
I know s/o like that too. he does not do it as an act its just his personality. he was trying to get his daughter on a flight and wanted to wait at the gate with her. a mother was there with her child she was alos trying to get in to wait with her son (they dont let u in w/o a ticket). this lady tried e/t to get in and they would not let her. the person I know walked up and chated for a few min then got let in. it was amazing!
I say if u have that kind of personality why not use it to get things done?-espically if its getting out of a ticket!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 12:48 pm
Lol mommy912 I think Rivkas comment was directed to me, u should know her by now. Twisted Evil

Mommy912

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 2:21 pm
Thanks Freilich, I was feeling a bit insulted...

Rivka

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 3:55 pm
Freilich yup! Anyway, charm isn't schmoozing which is what I think some of you are saying. Or maybe it is...schmoozing makes it sound more sleazy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics