Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Infant car seat

rzab

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 3:08 am
I need to buy a new infant car seat. I'm not really sure the best way to research this.
What seats are available? normal prices? how can I get the best deal on it?
In chul I relied on the internet for research on things like this, but I'm at a loss here.

Any recommendations?

EBY

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 11:44 am
I don't have great specific advice other than to make sure you get a five point harness. From what I understand, in America they all have but here the European brands only have 3 point. Also check the manufacture day. Because they are imported, some brands might not be very recently made or not be the newest model.

rzab

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 12:36 pm
I assume everything is up to regulation here. They just don't legally require a 5 point harness like they do in the states.

nylon

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 12:59 pm
The European 3 point harnesses are as safe as American 5 point ones. America used to have a different kind of 3 point.

Also, europe bans chest clips because they require that the buckle can be undone in one move. So they position differently.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 1:13 pm
We bought a Chicco NextFit at Bazaar Strauss maybe half a year ago for about 1300 shekels. It's a top-rated model, AFAIK. We bought it because we were having trouble finding a seat that would fit our tall 1-year-old rear-facing. I'm pretty sure you can use it with newborns- there's an insert we never used since we'd had an infant carseat before. I retrospect, I'd go with the convertible that will last until they only need a booster.

rzab

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
We bought a Chicco NextFit at Bazaar Strauss maybe half a year ago for about 1300 shekels. It's a top-rated model, AFAIK. We bought it because we were having trouble finding a seat that would fit our tall 1-year-old rear-facing. I'm pretty sure you can use it with newborns- there's an insert we never used since we'd had an infant carseat before. I retrospect, I'd go with the convertible that will last until they only need a booster.

so I was thinking of just going to a convertible car seat, but then I thought about how that might be annoying with a newborn. I like not having to wake up the baby when we get somewhere. I just find it easier with a newborn to move the whole car seat.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 2:08 pm
rzab wrote:
so I was thinking of just going to a convertible car seat, but then I thought about how that might be annoying with a newborn. I like not having to wake up the baby when we get somewhere. I just find it easier with a newborn to move the whole car seat.

I hear that. We don't have a car yet, so the infant seat was definitely easier for the taxi ride home from the hospital. The few times we've rented a car (BH, multiple family simchas in the country within the last year) I don't feel like it made much of a difference, but it's likely different if you drive regularly.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 2:21 pm
We bought a really nice Graco seat, used, on a swap/sell FB group. It was only about a year old and I paid a few hundred NIS.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:18 pm
You can get many of the regular american brands here - graco snugride, chicco keyfit, britax b-safe (here are british britax b-safe which is different than the american one. The american britaxes are better in general, in my opinion), etc.

The mainland european carseats are fantastic - the safety standards are better than in the USA. We have a swedish carseat that cost just a few hundred shekel besafe izi-go (the brand is called besafe, not to be confused with the other seat mentioned above). There are also maxi cosi (the european ones, which are different than the american ones), cybex, etc.

Here are some things to take into consideration:
- Do you need a base or not? Not all european carseats automatically come with a base
- max weight limit for the carseat - this varies quite a bit like from 9 kg - 15 kg). But ultimately, many babies outgrow by height before weight anyway. So also take into account how 'tall' the back of the seat is.
- Do you want it to snap onto a stroller - then you're naturally limited by your stroller

If you look on zap.co.il and look up infant car seats, that will give you an idea of what's available and how much things cost. Then for more details I go to the brand website and look things up there to understand the features etc.

I must have looked at a zillion carseats when we bought one, so feel free to ask more questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions