Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Oven Features
1  2  Next

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 3:23 pm
I have the chance to trade in my 5 year old perfectly good stove for a newer model for a very good price. The new stove has 5 burners and a combination oven/convection oven where you can switch between the two. There are 3 racks in the oven, now I have two. The top is sealed so it is easier to clean and the door comes off which will make it easier to kasher for pesach. Does anyone have a stove with these features? Is it worth the hassle to switch? Are these great features or something you could live without. I am not a gourmet cook, I just cook regular things. Thanks.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 4:34 pm
Yep make the switch I mean I would and just b/c you weren't gourmet b/4 doesn't mean u can't start Tongue Out

debz123

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 4:38 pm
I'd do it just for the sealed top!!! but with 3 racks and 5 burners too, whats the question?!!!

proudmom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 4:50 pm
I would do it right away!

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 4:53 pm
What does a sealed top do?

lucy

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 7:16 pm
5 burners???
That would be amazing yom tov time!
Are you sure the 5th burner is not a "food warmer"?

You'll appreciate the convection cooking, bc it cooks everthing evenly by the way it distributes the heat, so you could use all 3 racks at once - again a big plus on yom tov when your making alot of food at once. FOr example: 6-8 kugels!

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 7:54 pm
The fifth burner is in the center and is a regular burner. The grates on the top are all connected, you can slide pots all around. I am hesitating because I am getting an amazing deal but it will still cost money. I wanted to know what these features are and get some info on convection cooking.

IndyMom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 8:13 pm
If your old oven still works you can sell it on ebay

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 8:30 pm
Someone else wants the old one, that's why I can trade it for this one. I have to pay the difference between the selling price of the old one and the cost of the new one.

Mommy912

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 6:34 pm
I decided to go for the new one and now I just found out that the whole deal fell through. Sad I guess it just wasn't bashert. Thanks all of you for you tips.

mommy2

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:49 pm
Do any of you have a convection oven? Is it worth the 200$ more? Do u actually use this feature? For milchigs? For fleishigs? Thanks

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:56 pm
I have the maytag double oven. its soooo useful.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:31 pm
I have convection ("turbo" they call it here) and it was my one requirement when I bought an oven. My oven is primarily pareve, and fleishig on Fridays. (I checked with my Rav, and since I don't use it on Shabbat and clean it motza'sh I can still consider it pareve.) I clean it for milchig once a year...before Shavuot. Because it distributes the heat evenly things cook faster and you don't get hot spots. A real bonus when you have 3 cakes going at a time!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:38 pm
wow; that's VERY nice!

Younger Me

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:45 pm
I recently bought a new stove. I got one with 5 burners, I was so excited about it, but turns out that you can't really use it at the same time as your other 4 because, there's simply no room on the stove top to fit another pot. you have 4 pots- one in each corner, and the 5th burner in the middle. but if you're using big pots (which is always the case for me for shabbos cooking), you simply can't fit a 5th one on, even a small one.

Estee2

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:53 am
Hi !!

I've been working really hard this year, and I really enjoy baking.

I would like to 'splurge' on a double convection oven.
Apparently, there are some that are TRUE convection,
and some that are just with fans.

Does anybody have a GE Profile convection, or JennAir,
or Kenmore Elite, or Kitchen Aid ?

I'd like to know if it is really even and quick.
(A commercial convection would be wonderful, but dh
wants a residential one in the house.)

Thank you !

Estee2

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 9:59 pm
Double Wall True Convection Ovens

Just saw GE Monograms for the same money
as GE Profile.

Anyone have knowledge of these appliances ?

withhumor

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:06 pm
In my new apartment, I found a brand new stove with sealed burners. It’s a cheaper model though so the coating chipped off within 2 weeks from the grates, but I’m so appreciative for the sealed burners!

SHABBO SMODE: make sure you check with your rav before, which model is good for shabbos. Some new stoves change temps when you open and close the door, rendering it not shabbos proof. I love to use my oven, I leave on 225 for shabbos and we have hot crispy challos and hot crisky kugels, and it’s the best thing. I learned from my neighbor that the handles from the pots are safe at 225 and lately I put in my plastic containers too and they don’t melt (not directly on the rack though).

There’s a lot to look forward to, but concentrate on the shabbos issues. Good luck and enjoy cleaning it! :-)

Estee2

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:13 pm
Yes, I've been doing my soups in there Friday night,
once they have boiled, before Shabbos.

Farberware handles can go up to 400, I believe,
so I do it up to 300-350.

Do you, or anyone have a true convection oven ?
Question
Star-K certifies their SHabbos modes, so you can open it on Shabbos.
What's a good model ? In America ? (GE Profile, Monogram ?)

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 3:15 am
I have a GE Profile convection wall oven, with regular baking mode too. It's a very good feature. It saves me alot of time. Convection baking is an art, you don't want to overbake the outside, while the inside is half raw. Sometimes, I bake challahs on convection, and they're beautiful and crusty outside, and doughy inside.

But sometimes I use a combination, start it baking on regular, and switch halfway through to convection to speed things up. That seems to solve that problem. Undoubtedly using the right temperature would help too, you're supposed to reduce the temp. by 25 degrees F from the recipe's recommended one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars