Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Help with fleece

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:48 pm
I posted several weeks ago that I was going to sew a toddler sweatshirt. Long story short I ended up getting a (pink) solid-colored, fluffy fleece with a pattered flannel for the lining. I cut the flannel already but I went to line up the edges of the fleece for cutting, and now I'm confused. I can clearly tell which edges are the selvedges, and there's more stretch crosswise, but the nap seems to be running parallel to the stretch. I showed dh what I saw and he thinks the nap is on the bias, not the straight or cross grain. Anyone ever come across this? How would you cut it? I haven't found an answer with Google.

*Luckily a sweatshirt that was a little big last winter is only a little short in the sleeves, so we've been making do with mittens that cover her wrists. Still, I want to get this done this week and I can't work on it on Rosh Chodesh, so basically I have 2 real sewing days plus Friday if I can get most of my Shabbos cooking done Thursday.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:42 am
I'm not 100% sure on what you're asking, but fleece has a stretch to it and flannel does not. Your fleece might have stretched a bit.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:52 am
I already went ahead and cut it, and yes, it definitely stretched a little while cutting. This fabric has a clear learning curve. Confused

The issue is that the nap isn't running down as I'd expect from having sewn with other napped fabrics (velvet and stretch velvet, as I recall). Down meaning on the straight grain, or parallel to the selvedge to include knits in the definition. This fleece's nap is diagonal to the selvedges! I guess they're selling it thinking people are looking to make blankets so the direction doesn't matter. I'll have to remember to check that the next time I'm looking to make a sleeved garment with fleece. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing