Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Inflammatory bowel disease

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:41 pm
Does anyone or anyone's family member have this? My child very likely has this. Doing one more stool test and than colonoscopy and endoscopy to confirm. She has some other things going on health wise, and having IBD is a likely accompaniment. Just wondering if you were hospitalized following the colonoscopy and endoscopy and for how long? I will talk to her dr closer, just wanted to hear from others their experience and what to expect.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:59 pm
Yes! Extremely common especially amongst ashekanzim.
For colonoscopy typically they put you in twilight and there's not much recovery you can usually leave right away. Endoscopy is a camera through the intestines. I'm not sure if the protocol would be different for a child maybe they will put a child to sleep for both.
I hope it's turns out ok.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:04 pm
She will be sleeping and intubated at the time. I'm hoping that the second stool sample comes back in the normal range, but it's not likely. I'm going to daven that it does!!

anonymrs

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:25 pm
Colonoscopy and endoscopy is a one day procedure. We were out of the hospital by about 12-1pm with my daughter. What kind of other health issues does she have? You can look into Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Speaking from experience, it works. Very few doctors will tell you so, since there isn't too much medical research on diets in general. I know a number of people who have been able to avoid strong medications that don't allow the immune system to function by using this diet. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Best of luck!! The scopes sound much much scarier than they actually are. Kids are pretty resilient and do quite well.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:57 am
I definitely suggest a diet change. please check out online "plant based diet".
diet change could help tremendously, could alleviate symptoms.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:11 am
Thanks for your tips!ps! I will definitely look into the diets

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:20 pm
If you get an IBD diagnosis, you should try SCD but it's really, really hard for kids. Even a few months can be great if that's all they can handle.
There are different types of IBD, different parts of the digestive system that are impacted and in different ways. Based on this, your doctor will want to try different medications. You may not have a lot of time to make a decision, but do take some time to understand the basics so you can make an informed decision.
Of course this is all IF you get a dx. Refuah shleima, regardless!

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:19 pm
My dd just had a endoscopy and colonoscopy and they think the biopsies will show inflammatory bowel disease. What can you tell me about your experiences with it? Should I be worried?

happyone

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:36 pm
can be Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, unspecified etc. depending on the severity they will come up with a treatment plan ranging from diet changes to immune suppressants and others in between.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:39 am
Anyone else have a child with this or yourself has inflammatory bowel disease? What can you tell me? I’m so nervous!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:39 am
My 9 year old dd has crohns.

We did colonoscopy and endoscopy before diagnosis. Prep was very hard but bH wasn’t hospitalized. Actual procedure wasn’t bad and left hospital soon after. Also did cat scan later as part of diagnosis. My dd is a drama queen (nurses think she deserves an Oscar for her performances) and has a low tolerance for pain but handled these like a star.

BH we found a medication that works and she is growing (after 2 years of no growth). And is pain free and has abundant energy.
While the diagnosis was hard to hear the outcome has been amazing.
Hatzlacha and I hope it all goes well.

There are a lot of opinions regarding diet and drs are open to discussing it. My dr was very open to a diet and was pushing it but it was too extrememe for my dd.

Our goal being they my dd was so close to puberty was to get her body healthy so she would grow and develop appropriately. BH it looks like we are getting there.

(I have 2 siblings with crohns married with kids drug free doing amazing. The both had surgery years ago in their teens. It gives me a lot of hope especially because the options have increased since )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics