Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Withdrawing from school to homeschool

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 7:46 am
I was wondering if anyone had any advice and could help me. Our children are enrolled in school, but because of various issues and for various reasons we have decided to take them out and homeschool (we have homeschooled before).
I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or guidelines on how to withdraw my children from the school they are in? We are in NJ and it's a MO school, and my children are all in grade school if that makes any difference. I'm really nervous the school is going to cause a problem (this area of NJ tends to frown on homeschooling a lot) and I really want this to go as smoothly and peacefully as possible. I'd love any advice anyone could give me.

Thank you!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 7:58 am
What can the school do to you? What will your community do?

Sure, some are going to judge and be nasty, but your children's education and happiness have to come first. The community is not raising your kids, and they don't know them as well as you do. You have to be strong, and do what you think is right.

Eventually, you may decide to move to a more open community, or at least look for a school that is a better fit (that's what I did). You may find an online program that helps them learn at their own pace, and they will excel beyond your wildest dreams!

I'm sure that lots of other mothers here can give you practical advice. I just want to wish you lots of luck and best wishes. Hug

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:04 am
You may be want to look into Melamed academy. It's an online school, (Yeshiva) in new jersey and meets all your states educational guidelines. You can get a full high school diploma from them. Unfortunately, I am in New York, but I am using them for their Jewish curriculum for my son.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:46 am
I'm not in NJ, and when I withdrew my child from school (in order to homeschool) , the school reported me to social services. Social services put us through hell.

Down the road, I was told by an attorney that I should have formally notified the old school , in writing, that I was enrolling my child in another school (no need to specify name of new school), as homeschooling is technically "another school"

Hatzlocha!

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:47 am
I'd recommend signing up with HSLDA.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
I'm not in NJ, and when I withdrew my child from school (in order to homeschool) , the school reported me to social services. Social services put us through hell.

Down the road, I was told by an attorney that I should have formally notified the old school , in writing, that I was enrolling my child in another school (no need to specify name of new school), as homeschooling is technically "another school"

Hatzlocha!

This is exactly what I am nervous about. There area we live in is almost anti-homeschool. I'm so sorry for the trouble you went through!!

PAMOM

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:14 am
Have you looked st the NJ Dept of Ed website? Many states have a section on homeschool regulations. You can also email the local school district if you want something more specific in writing. You will have to notify the local school district to avoid truancy reports--and that's the worst legal trouble your current schools could cause. Just have a pleasant non-committal answer ready for anyone who asks why you pulled them out. If you can't move, you want to keep your options open for down the line.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:24 am
I suggest contacting an HSLDA attorney for step by step instructions. Can save you much heartache.

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 2:29 pm
All this conversation is putting the cart before the horse.

New Jersey is a light regulation state as far as homeschooling.

You don't need to pay money to HSLDA to homeschool as it is perfectly legal to homeschool in all 50 states. Unless you are currently being investigated for child neglect or the like or are felons running from the law, you can follow the directions here. This organization is a secular and inclusive homeschool support organization in New Jersey. We don't have to recreate the wheel here; they know the laws inside out. Use their knowledge and talk to them. They can connect you to people in your state who can help you. As far as I know, every state has a statewide homeschool association to help homeschoolers. Some might be Christian, but I'd bet they would be happy to assist any homeschooler or refer you to someone who can.

As far as communal feelings about homeschooling, you'll have to make firm boundaries with some Nosy Nellies and Helpful Yentas. Most people are interested in homeschooling but other than that could care less as it isn't their family/children. You have to put your children and their chinuch first and that's what you are doing. Hold your head up high.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:51 am
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling