Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching Personality

amother

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:05 am
I see that having a sense of humor helps so much in teaching. What can I do? I'm not blessed with one. I'm seen as too serious. How can I acquire the personality to be able to win the children's trust and respect? How can I keep from getting tense when children don't respond or listen to me? When that happens I can't help feeling that they don't like me Sad (they are very young and so innocent)

Motek

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I see that having a sense of humor helps so much in teaching. What can I do? I'm not blessed with one.

When you say you are not blessed with one, what do you mean? Do you mean that when other people make jokes, you don't find them funny? Or that you don't/can't make the jokes yourself but you are amused when others do?

Would you be able to act the part of someone with a sense of humor?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 1:55 pm
I agree that certain personalities are better suited for teaching. I find that you need "eyes in the back of your head" and it helps to be able to do several things at one time. I sub a lot and sometimes I need to ask for help if the kids are on different levels.
Not every kid appreciates jokes either. I always joke that I will bring "p'cha" (a food that doesn't appeal to them) if the kids act up. Some of them really like the joke but unfortunately a few have really believed it and then it was hard to gain their trust.

happymom

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 2:00 pm
the first step is BLEIUVE IN YOURSELF. If you dont, the kids will feel it and not listen and test you.

also, u can read a book called how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk, that will help.

u might want to watch some professional teachers and see how they get the kids to listen... im sure u can learn alot that way and then prectice what u saw.

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 2:10 pm
It's hard to say since I obviously didn't observe in your classroom but I don't think kids necessarily like the teachers who are funny. I think they like teachers who are nice, and who appreciate them as individuals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics