Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Flush/ don't flush tampons??
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:46 am
I'm in a new house and it only took a few days for the plumbing to clog up. Seems the culprit was flushed tampons. So I am now being told I need to throw them in the trash and not flush them, which I think is so gross. I have always flushed them in every home I've lived in without issue, and everywhere else I go. Anyhow, I told DH everyone flushes them, it's normal and plumbing should be able to handle it. He asked how do I know what everyone does... and he's right... how do I know? I never asked anyone what they do with their used tampons. My mother told me to flush so I always have since I'm a teen. So now I'm curious if most people do in fact flush and also for anyone who also has bad pipes what do you do? Tossing them in a little waste basket must smell awful.... do you take out the trash over and over all day? Tie up the garbage like with diapers? Sorry to ask such weird and personal questions but I've never had to deal with this before. THANKS.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:48 am
They say not to flush them. Specifically for that reason. When I used them, I often forgot.
I use a cup now. A side benefit is no trash!

nursemomma

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:50 am
They are not meant to be flushed!
I once heard a first hand story: plumber was called to unclog toilets, and he pulled out a used tampon in front of the woman...he told her NOT to flush them...lol

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:52 am
I flushed everyplace I have lived with no problems.

However, there is always plumbing which for whatever reason is problematic.

Is it an older home with an older toilet? I ask because I was having problems with the toilet in my master bathroom constantly not flushing and I wasn't putting ANYTHING down there. The plumber told me that with age, especially if the water in your area is "hard, there is building up in the trap and so it narrows increasing the likelihood of clogs from what would not ordinarily clog a toilet.

He wasn't doing it to sell me a toilet or his services to install since I would be buying the toilet from an unaffiliated supply company and the cost to install the toilet would not be much more than his having to come out to unclog and then he would lose my business. LOL.

Sadie

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:52 am
Wrap them up in toilet paper and put them in a garbage can lined with a plastic bag, with a lid that closes. It doesn't smell. Never flush!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:55 am
We used to flush them until.....we had a major sewer backup. The plumber investigated and found that we had tree roots growing into our sewer line and the tampon strings got stuck on the tree roots. With 4 women in 1 household, it was a lot of tampons :-)

Basically, the only thing you should ever put in the toilet is 1 ply toilet paper that's made to degrade. Everything else can clog the pipes.

essie14

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:02 pm
I've lived in many different houses and apartments in US and Israel. Some plumbing systems could handle tampons and some could not. When I couldn't flush tampons, I would wrap in layers of toilet paper and dispose in trash can lined with plastic bag. Empty trash every couple of days. I use the smallest trash cans in my bathroom so I am always forced to empty it often, which I prefer.

vicki

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:08 pm
Never ever flushed any sanitary products.
I would wrap them well and replace garbage bag often.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:09 pm
essie14 wrote:
I've lived in many different houses and apartments in US and Israel. Some plumbing systems could handle tampons and some could not. When I couldn't flush tampons, I would wrap in layers of toilet paper and dispose in trash can lined with plastic bag. Empty trash every couple of days. I use the smallest trash cans in my bathroom so I am always forced to empty it often, which I prefer.

I recently bought some very cheap very thin small plastic bags on amazon. They are perfect for this kind of wrapping of stuff that you don't want to wrap in something larger. I will wrap food in the kitchen that I don't want the fruit flies to land on for example as well and then take out in the larger garbage or toss the small bag when I leave the house.

cm

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:09 pm
Always flushed, never a problem. I never heard of not flushing tampons until very recently on imamother.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:17 pm
They are non degradable and should not be flushed down the toilet.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:02 pm
Never flush ..... They can definitely cause problems in many sewer pipes .... For those that flush without having issues consider yourselves lucky but it is not meant to be flushed (you shouldn't hold it against your sewer system )

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:04 pm
I also had never heard of not flushing tampons and always flushed... until one Shabbos when I stayed at a friend's cousins' house and clogged their toilet with one. Mortifying.

Miri7

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:13 pm
Never, ever flushed. Was always taught not to because it causes plumbing issues and they are not meant to be flushed.

musicmom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:29 pm
Diva Cup! So much more comfortable! Nothing to flush!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
I recently bought some very cheap very thin small plastic bags on amazon. They are perfect for this kind of wrapping of stuff that you don't want to wrap in something larger. I will wrap food in the kitchen that I don't want the fruit flies to land on for example as well and then take out in the larger garbage or toss the small bag when I leave the house.

Doggie poo bags work perfectly for this purpose. The dollar store usually has them in rolls of 50 or 100.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:41 pm
I was at a girls' sleepaway camp one summer when the septic system failed -- yup, it was the junior high girls flushing their tampons. That entire section of the camp smelled like a sewer for weeks. *shudder*

I don't understand why women think it's okay to flush tampons!

The tampons say "don't flush", every public bathroom I've been in has waste bins for sanitary products and a large number of them have additional signs reminding people to dispose of sanitary products instead of flushing... I guess enough people must be breaking that rule to make the signs necessary, but how could so many people be ignoring the BLATANT signage???

icebreaker

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:02 pm
Yeah don't flush. I live in an apartment building so I just bag up and go toss them down the garbage shoot in the hallway. Inconvenient but I don't want to think about what could happen lol.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in a new house and it only took a few days for the plumbing to clog up. Seems the culprit was flushed tampons. So I am now being told I need to throw them in the trash and not flush them, which I think is so gross. I have always flushed them in every home I've lived in without issue, and everywhere else I go. Anyhow, I told DH everyone flushes them, it's normal and plumbing should be able to handle it. He asked how do I know what everyone does... and he's right... how do I know? I never asked anyone what they do with their used tampons. My mother told me to flush so I always have since I'm a teen. So now I'm curious if most people do in fact flush and also for anyone who also has bad pipes what do you do? Tossing them in a little waste basket must smell awful.... do you take out the trash over and over all day? Tie up the garbage like with diapers? Sorry to ask such weird and personal questions but I've never had to deal with this before. THANKS.

Definitely don't flush, you've found out the reason why. It's terrible for the environment. And yes, it's a big pain to be meticulous about removing soiled ones all the time but perhaps a bit more easy if they are wrapped up in plastic bags e.g. nappy bags. Or just if you throw them out every day.

madys

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:07 pm
Same thing happened to me, plumber pulled it out of the trap in front of my husband, his assistant, and me (erev pesach!!!!)

Now, I bought doggie poop bags and keep a roll in each bathroom.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics