Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bunkbeds
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 11:47 am
Is there such thing as smaller bunkbeds? Still a twin-size but not as bulky, maybe?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:22 pm
ask in the furnture stores. they're prob. used to dealing with small apts.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:31 pm
small has it's disadvantage simply because you want something that can be used both now and later when the kiddies get bigger ...

I pm'd you ...

rainbow

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:35 pm
As a kid I shared a bunk bed with my sister and my own kids share a bunkbed as well. Just wanna tell you it is not fun. True it takes up less space than two beds, but the amount of rivalry it creates makes it almost not worth having it. 'Ma, I can't sleep! She's shaking the bed' 'Ma, when she gets out of bed I feel it and it disturbs me!' And on and on and on....

Next thing I'm doing is getting rid of my bunkbed and getting a hi-riser.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:42 pm
hey bunkbeds are a lifesaver ... I have a bunkbed with a trundle ... so 3 beds in one ... never had an issue ... kids took turns with the top ...

rainbow

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:48 pm
Green, maybe you have a sturdy one that doesn't shake any. Good for you!

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 1:30 pm
Thanks, rainbow, that's something I'll consider Smile.

I actually saw a nice inexpensive bunkbed about two weeks ago but missed my chance to buy it. Rolling Eyes
I need to put my two older boys in a bunkbed so the baby can have the crib.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 1:58 pm
Our kids had bunk beds and they didn't complain but it was really hard to change the sheets. I have seen lots of cheap bunk frames out there so the price shouldn't be an issue. Do you ever go to Elizabeth NJ Ikea?

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 2:06 pm
We don't have a car so I shop locally or online. Of course I'm looking for a cheaper one, but not at the expense of quality.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 3:19 pm
Bunk beds are also quite dangerous and I've heard that a large percentage of household injuries are due to kids jumping.

GR, DD who just turned 18 has a bed that's smaller and she's just fine in it, I think it's 33: compared to 39" or some such. (It's a trundle.)

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 3:38 pm
The American Association of Pediatrics don't recommendany kids sleeping on the top of bunk beds before age 6. When I looked into getting them for my dd and ds's my dh reminded me of this.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 5:12 pm
that is correct they even come with a warning sign that says as much ...

and yes I spent money on a quality bed ... stanley advertised as "from kid to college" ... because they are solid wood

and the way we played musical is my oldest had it first ... until she got her own room ... then my son took top ... and when dd turned 6 she got top ... and then little dd and middle dd switched around when she turned 6 ... now it is used as a single with a trundle underneath ... other part is in attick ... waited for many years till I bought the matching dresser ...

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:12 pm
Quote:
Bunk beds are also quite dangerous and I've heard that a large percentage of household injuries are due to kids jumping.

Quote:
The American Association of Pediatrics don't recommendany kids sleeping on the top of bunk beds before age 6

That's fine, really. I think I can make my own decisions about when my kids are ready to do what.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:17 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
The American Association of Pediatrics don't recommendany kids sleeping on the top of bunk beds before age 6

That's fine, really. I think I can make my own decisions about when my kids are ready to do what.

these rules are out there for guidance ... much like seatbelts ... traffic lights ... and bike helmets ...

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:20 pm
greenfire LOL seatbelts, car seats, and helmets are in a moving car in traffic. Wink A bunkbed is a bed.
note that you wrote "guidelines" which makes it optional, but the examples you gave became law. Heaven help us if they make a law about the age your child can sleep in a bunkbed. Rolling Eyes

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:28 pm
I have this.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cata.....50290
It's a little smaller than the other beds we have. The bottom bunk is quite low. It's VERY hardwearing, currently slept in by 2 very lebedik boys. Rainbow's comment about each person feeling the others movements got me wondering, so tonight I lay down with my younger son and asked the older one to move around in his bed. I cannot say I didn't feel any movement, but it was certainly not enough to disturb me too much. Neither have ever complained about it anyway.

I also need to shift around the sleeping arrangements in my house (need to get the twinnies out of my room!) and will most likely buy the same bunkbed again.

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:41 pm
Thanks a lot. Smile

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:48 pm
My pleasure Smile

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 8:01 pm
GR wrote:
greenfire LOL seatbelts, car seats, and helmets are in a moving car in traffic. Wink A bunkbed is a bed.
note that you wrote "guidelines" which makes it optional, but the examples you gave became law. Heaven help us if they make a law about the age your child can sleep in a bunkbed. Rolling Eyes

they don't make laws against crossing the street ... but you wouldn't let someone under 8 cross anyways ... there is not enough distance perception ...

a small kid rolls around a lot ... can easily fall off the bed ...

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 8:02 pm
That's why they have bars up there!
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics