Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken on top? or on bottom? of potatoes

pause

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:08 am
I often prepare chicken and potatoes and onions in one pan, add water, spices, and bake for 2-3 hours for an easy (Thursday night) one pan supper.

What's better: chicken on top, giving flavor to potatoes and potatoes being submerged in water so chicken gets cooked more from the steam in the pan?
or
chicken on bottom, being submerged in water and its own juices thus remaining moist and potatoes get "steamed" from being on top of the chicken but then less flavorful?

3mitzvos

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:14 am
I always put the chicken on top of the potatoes. I like the flavor from the chicken going into the potatoes. A trick I use is to put the chicken skin-side down, so that the meatier side stays in the juices. YI don't get crispy skin, but we don't eat the skin, anyway.

rednavy

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:22 am
On top.

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 6:37 pm
Chicken on top. Under would make it cook in too much liquid and be like boiled chicken to me.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 6:40 pm
I like to use a double size pan and arrange everything side by side in one layer.

smile

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:40 am
My mother in law first fries the chicken on both side for about 20min each. Then adds potato on top for about half an hour. And only then she puts the chicken on top. Sometimes she still add a cup or so of water if necessary.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:46 am
I like the chicken on top of the potatoes. Why not experiment and see what works best for you?

smilealot

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:56 am
I do this Fri night.
Chicken on top. Potatoes and frozen veg underneath. Some duck sauce over the top.
Yum.

kiryat sefer

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 5:07 am
Chicken on top so the flavor goes into the potatoes.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 7:53 am
I also put the chicken on top, but my kids actually prefer chicken with the very soft texture of boiling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey