Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you brush your BABY's teeth (<1 year old)?

Do you brush your baby's teeth? Baby = 12 months and less
Yes  
 25%  [ 16 ]
No  
 74%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 63

agreer

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 1:53 pm
All the books say to brush your baby's teeth as soon as he gets his first tooth.

My baby doesn't let me near his teeth.

How am I supposed to do this?

I'm curious if anyone actually does, because none of my siblings did.

Rrs123

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 12:51 pm
I start with my kids at age two.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 1:10 pm
I did, but it never pushed it.

I didn't' use a regular toothbrush, I used a silocone finger toothbrush: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-.....brush

You can also just use a damp washcloth - they usually are more willing for that.

The whole thing doesn't have to take more than a few seconds at first. Build up slowly.

jj1236

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 6:58 pm
I asked my doctor since my 10 month old has 2 teeth but he said I can wait till more teeth come in

cm

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 7:07 pm
I remember the baby book said to use a finger covered with gauze to wipe the teeth. Tried it once...I still remember the dent the baby made in my finger, and I think I still own the rest of the box of gauze!

The silicone finger brush is much easier; baby chews (painlessly) on your finger for a few seconds and you're done. I'm sorry I don't remember when we switched to a toothbrush, but I recall that one-year-old toddlers loved toothbrushes.

seeker

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 8:13 pm
agreer wrote:
All the books say to brush your baby's teeth as soon as he gets his first tooth.

My baby doesn't let me near his teeth.

How am I supposed to do this?

I'm curious if anyone actually does, because none of my siblings did.

I'd try to make it a little game.
The point at this age is really to get the kids comfortable and used to the idea that brushing teeth is a thing to do, so you don't have any trouble introducing it later on.
If your baby is young and really resisting, I'd wonder why but I wouldn't push it. Try again in a couple of months and see if he's mellowed.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
I did, but it never pushed it.

I didn't' use a regular toothbrush, I used a silocone finger toothbrush: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-.....brush

You can also just use a damp washcloth - they usually are more willing for that.

The whole thing doesn't have to take more than a few seconds at first. Build up slowly.

same

the kids really like it is also soothing on their gums.
Just be careful as their teeth come in they dont bite your finger!

abaker

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 10:59 pm
Yes I do. It's important to get them use to it.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 11:11 pm
I bought my baby a kiddie toothbrush and I give it to him to chew on sometimes.

lucky14

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 11:54 pm
Our baby only has one, but we still brush it (and his gums). I've been using the orajel rubbery brush thing (someone else mentioned that). He loves it (plus the toothpaste must taste good). He chews down on the brush. He loves tooth brushing time Smile

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:24 am
My dentist said 2, but I know many who don't do regularly before 3. Certainly not under 1 or with a couple teeth?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:43 am
I brushed my babys teeth regularly as soon as they came out and guess what? At 18 months two teeth had cavities. And I only gave him water and milk to drink and no sugary foods. After that, I didnt brush my other kids.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:47 am
Wow, posts like these make me realize just how dysfunctional my parents were. They never taught us to brush our teeth; we had a cup full of old toothbrushes which everyone shared and my mother only made sure we brushed our teeth when we went to the dentist.

At the dentist, they used to prescribe prescriptions for strong toothpaste because our teeth were so bad; we had a whole pile of full prescription toothpastes that were squeezed an average of one time.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
I brushed my babys teeth regularly as soon as they came out and guess what? At 18 months two teeth had cavities. And I only gave him water and milk to drink and no sugary foods. After that, I didnt brush my other kids.

Same with dd. I started brushing as soon as her teeth came in (around 3-4 months) with that silicone finger thing and the orajel paste.
Guess what, she has bad tooth decay in her two upper front teeth. And she didn't even know how to drink from a bottle till way after her first birthday. Also she drinks water only in the bottle. (At one point she did drink juice when she was at my sisters house after my baby was born) but nothinh to explain her bad tooth decay.

With child #2 I just started at 18 months. So far so good.

The only thing I could think of that could have caysed this was that dd1 nursed a LOT and woke up once every other night for a feeding too. Up until 15-16 months.

Either way, tooth brushing is a good habit to get your children used to asap. As they get older, the longer they have been doing it the more ingrained it is.

And its fun for the kids. My kids love it.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
Wow, posts like these make me realize just how dysfunctional my parents were. They never taught us to brush our teeth; we had a cup full of old toothbrushes which everyone shared and my mother only made sure we brushed our teeth when we went to the dentist.

At the dentist, they used to prescribe prescriptions for strong toothpaste because our teeth were so bad; we hd a whole pile of full prescription toothpastes that were squeezed an average of one time.

Hugs. How are your teeth now?

My mother never took me to the dentist. Unless I was in agony. I still remember a full blown on-the-floor-kicking-the-walls-in-pain episode at 12 years old..... she finally sent me with my older sister, they put in medicine and covered it up temporarily. It was another 3-4 years before the root canal was done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics