Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Fish kirschenbaum guide to wedding management
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
I'm feeling so left out. I only read the Mishpacha serials. I used to be so into them. Anybody else out there still remember Ruth & Batya? I always turned to the serial with that blushing, sheepish, slightly embarrassed look I'm guessing I'd have on ppmy face if I was looking at a really unseemly type of magazine. They were my Friday night guilty pleasure and the characters literally seemed to be hanging out in my living room and on my front stoop. I miss those days... In the last while I just can't get into any of them. One is so awful I barely give it a glance. Anyone else feel the same way?
I love all three of the Family First's serials.

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
I think something major is going to happen with tzedaka yankel, not as innocent as he looks, maybe?

I love this prediction!!

OutATowner

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:13 pm
I love it! One of the few well written Jewish stories out there. I'm a fan!
Scotty- don't know if I can ask you this, but several years ago you wrote a phenomenal story about two sisters during the time of Chanuka. I have never understood the Chanuka story with such clarity. You literally changed my yom tov.
Here comes the question- I am giving a class to non observant women tomorrow. I would love if we could read some of it. Is there any possibility of getting a hold of that story? Any? LOL

Last edited by OutATowner on Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:18 pm
I have always been a huge fan of her all her writing.
Reading it week by week does have some downside of feeling slow at times. But her character development and writing are so breathtaking...I hang on week by week and then try to get the book when it comes out.
Still waiting for Grey Lines!

rise above

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:19 pm
I predict the hall going to be torn down for the condos - - and Fish is going to feel how all the last few months he thought he was working towards one goal - saving the hall- while really Gods plan was the process of him getting over his trauma and helping Zell rise above his.
Oh and somewhere in the middle we will find the 2 conspiriating ladies sneaking leftovers from the freezer in the dusty old office where they've been hanging out redting butch his shidduch.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm feeling so left out. I only read the Mishpacha serials. I used to be so into them. Anybody else out there still remember Ruth & Batya? I always turned to the serial with that blushing, sheepish, slightly embarrassed look I'm guessing I'd have on my face if I was looking at a really unseemly type of magazine. They were my Friday night guilty pleasure and the characters literally seemed to be hanging out in my living room and on my front stoop. I miss those days... In the last while I just can't get into any of them. One is so awful I barely give it a glance. Anyone else feel the same way?

No, I really enjoy the current Mishpacha serials. Especially the one about Annie and Abe. I hope Abe doesn't get killed in the war... Sad

rise above

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:33 pm
I am enjoying all of them - including the one in the main magazine. I like how they are all so different from each other in style.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
I think something major is going to happen with tzedaka yankel, not as innocent as he looks, maybe?

Nah, he will save the day when those Italian guys are not as generous as they seem.

But yes, love the serial. It's drawn out but all EGS's serials were like this as she goes deep into her characters' psyche and makes you follow their thought processes.

I also would love to read that Chanukah story again.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
I'm feeling so left out. I only read the Mishpacha serials. I used to be so into them. Anybody else out there still remember Ruth & Batya? I always turned to the serial with that blushing, sheepish, slightly embarrassed look I'm guessing I'd have on my face if I was looking at a really unseemly type of magazine. They were my Friday night guilty pleasure and the characters literally seemed to be hanging out in my living room and on my front stoop. I miss those days... In the last while I just can't get into any of them. One is so awful I barely give it a glance. Anyone else feel the same way?

Feel free to start a new thread!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 9:05 pm
Ita that fish is getting waaaay too shleppy.

Still devour every word cuz of the phenomenal writing and fantastic characters but I feel like it should've wrapped up a while ago. And the plot got kind of sidelined more than once. Like we haven't been hearing about Esti's job conflicting with Fish's in a while. Even saving the hall is just not there anymore. But after reading what EG just wrote, sounds like lots of twists are still coming. I think she's trying to win the award for longest serial ever Smile

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:04 pm
Love this serial, as all the rest of EGS's writing!

Because I know serials tend to be long, I usually only start reading them after about 15 weeks.

I feel that she is probably the BEST writer out there. I was wondering if she would do as good of a job on a present day story as she does on historical fiction, and I must say I am very impressed!

BTW I am also enjoying the Family First Seriels

booboo24

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:40 pm
Where is all the duck sauce going!

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:45 pm
booboo24 wrote:
Where is all the duck sauce going!

Lol
EG is my favorite writer.

becky

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:48 pm
anybody here willing to fill me in on a missing chapter? I didn't read the part wherein Fish caters David's Purim party (and figures out what drives David) and Zell delivers Mishloach Manos to his victim.

TIA

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:20 am
I can't get into this serial at all. I prefer the one by Libby lazevnik.

agreer

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:25 am
becky wrote:
anybody here willing to fill me in on a missing chapter? I didn't read the part wherein Fish caters David's Purim party (and figures out what drives David) and Zell delivers Mishloach Manos to his victim.

TIA

Basically, David is bullied by his own family and feels he has to show off to them. He gets drunk and everyone says mean things.

It wasn't super dramatic, but Fish obsesses about it and finally realizes David bullies b/c he is bullied and feels bad about himself.

mommy2379

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:35 am
OutATowner wrote:
I love it! One of the few well written Jewish stories out there. I'm a fan!
Scotty- don't know if I can ask you this, but several years ago you wrote a phenomenal story about two sisters during the time of Chanuka. I have never understood the Chanuka story with such clarity. You literally changed my yom tov.
Here comes the question- I am giving a class to non observant women tomorrow. I would love if we could read some of it. Is there any possibility of getting a hold of that story? Any? LOL

The Chanuka story was epic...one of my favorite stories of all time! It was so fascinating and different and made the time period come alive on paper. I would also love to read it again. I don't read serials in general, so cant comment on this one, but EGS is definitely one of the most talented writers out there.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:40 am
I guess it's a style thing because I lost interest in Libby Lazewnik about ten years ago. She is a good writer and I did thoroughly enjoy many of her books but I'm just not into it anymore.

I'm not finding Fish too drawn out because there's a lot to enjoy along the way, but I do see why others who like more driven plots would feel that way. There were a few chapters that felt like "that's it?" but overall I'm just enjoying it so much. All the personalities are great.

We do have some loose ends that need follow-up:
The duck sauce.
The shidduch business.
The lavender kippas/ties and the whole Holtz affair, which had some kind of teaser this week, and I'm just grateful that at least the teaser left off with a little clue rather than a total cliffhanger.
Tzedakah Yankel's backstory plus the related reliability of the Italian cousins.
More follow-up is needed on Zell and his "victim," even though we've already had hints of improvement.

I just can't get enough of the character development and complexity. I thought I enjoyed the Family First bullying serial a couple of years ago, and I did, and it was a nice serial novel, light reading with a message - but can't hold a candle to the nuance and depth of this story. Plus the dash of humor!

The Grey Lines was similarly awesome but with the switch from historical to contemporary you get a very different angle.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:41 am
agreer wrote:
Basically, David is bullied by his own family and feels he has to show off to them. He gets drunk and everyone says mean things.

It wasn't super dramatic, but Fish obsesses about it and finally realizes David bullies b/c he is bullied and feels bad about himself.

It's not just that, it's that he sees and feels how truly pathetic David's life is.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:43 am
mommy2379 wrote:
The Chanuka story was epic...one of my favorite stories of all time! It was so fascinating and different and made the time period come alive on paper. I would also love to read it again. I don't read serials in general, so cant comment on this one, but EGS is definitely one of the most talented writers out there.

It was also epic because it really shook up the Jewish literary scene. Opened a new arena and raised the bar overnight. We'd never seen anything like it at all. Now there are a few authors spinning off on that. Leah Gebber comes to mind, though for all I know she may have been there all along and I never noticed.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room