Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Which domain should I choose for my new business??

blossoming

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 1:36 pm
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I have no one to ask, so appreciate if anyone can help me.

I have a small business and never had a site, which I have now, and now's the time to choose a domain, but the name of my business is taken Mad . It has two words, so I thought of putting a dash in between both words. But it will only allow two dashes. So -

soes this sound good?

www.which--word.com

I figured it would be awkward to read it out to clients who aren't coming from a link and need information from the site, making sure they put in two dashes, no one, but two.

I have other suggestions, such as a different ending to .com, and more, but this is the best one.

What do you think? Is the two dashes really that bad?

tryinghard

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:30 pm
What kind of business is it? I would sooner add another word in.

miri36

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:51 pm
I think any dash is a hassle to type out. What kind of business is it? Maybe you can choose a different name altogether.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:05 pm
I would do something with the place your located like whichwordusa.com or whichwordny.com

cm

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:07 pm
I don't understand - who or what only allows two dashes?

I agree that it will be a nuisance to spell out to people. It is very likely to be mis-typed.

Many small businesses in your situation use the two-letter abbreviation of their state: whichwordny.com, for example.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:11 pm
Too bad. The problem with longer names is that it's easy to mis-type a character. I was fortunate to get my short space planning business name as a dot.com, but for my day planner balabusta.com was not available and balabustasdailyorganizer.com is just too long. I ended up getting balabusta.us.

blossoming

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:13 pm
cm wrote:
I don't understand - who or what only allows two dashes?

I agree that it will be a nuisance to spell out to people. It is very likely to be mis-typed.

Many small businesses in your situation use the two-letter abbreviation of their state: whichwordny.com, for example.

The website I created my website has very limited options. I'm in Israel, so most of them will need me to spell out the name anyways letter by letter, so perhaps the dashes are not that crucial???

imasoftov

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 5:05 am
There are domains with a single dash, I've created one in Israel, so first I'd write to the admin of the website you're using and ask if they can do anything. If you don't want to either use two dashes, which I agree is likely to cause confusion, or make the name longer, try another top level domain, like .biz, or since you're in Israel, .co.il

blossoming

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 5:53 am
thanks, co. il is also taken...

thanks for the responses. I think I'll do the two dashes, if anyone else has something to see then please do, because once you choose a domain there's no turning back rather than paying the full price again.

thanks all, and have a good Shabbos!

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 7:52 am
I think two dashes is a really bad idea. How about whichwordisrael.com or whichwordil.com? Or something else completely different related to your business (eg whichletter, choosethatword, wordhelp, etc)

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 7:54 am
theoneandonly wrote:
I think two dashes is a really bad idea. How about whichwordisrael.com or whichwordil.com? Or something else completely different related to your business (eg whichletter, choosethatword, wordhelp, etc)

Or thewordwitch LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media