Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
"steering" the activity walker

lucky14

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 3:21 pm
so my baby loves his activity walker, the only prob is that he doesn't know how to guide it (steer it) so he doesn't walk into things and then when he does push up against something and gets stuck he waits for us to come and move it so he's unstuck or he'll just sit down and play with the activity part of it.

for anyone who's baby has had one: did your kid learn how to steer it on their own or did you have to teach them how?

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 11:17 pm
really- no one had one of these for their children? (I'm talking about the ones you stand up and push while walking, not the ones you sit inside of and walk)

gamanit

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 11:19 pm
I had one. I steered it until my child was walking well enough that he was able to lift it and turn it a different direction.

rowo

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:35 am
As they get bigger and stronger and understand more they figure it out

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:28 am
ok. Thanks for answering! I wasn't sure if by doing it I was preventing him from learning himself, but it didn't seem like he was really capable of figuring it out for himself just yet, and I didn't know if that's something that they usually can do yet.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:36 am
How old is he? As they get older they get better? Unless they have weak muscles.

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 2:49 pm
sourstix wrote:
How old is he? As they get older they get better? Unless they have weak muscles.

He's 12 months, but he just got it recently so he hasn't had much "practice" with it. I'm sure he COULD do it if he understood what it was he was supposed to do.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 2:51 pm
rowo wrote:
As they get bigger and stronger and understand more they figure it out

Yup. They have to figure it out but also be strong enough to maneuver the walker. It's fine to help him, you can guide his hands to show him how to steer as well.

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:04 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Yup. They have to figure it out but also be strong enough to maneuver the walker. It's fine to help him, you can guide his hands to show him how to steer as well.

Thanks, yeah that's what I've been doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics