Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Taxis in Israel/Gett

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 5:06 am
Traveling to Israel. Need info on taxis please. Any particular cab companies you would recommend? I was told there is a way to identify an Arab taxi? How do I do that? What is the safety/reliability of using Gett?
Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 5:08 am
Which area?

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 5:13 am
There is Get taxi mehadrin, which has only Jewish drivers. I'm not sure if they have it for everywhere though.
In Jerusalem, Ramot Alon has good service ad only Jewish drivers- 02-502-2222

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 6:31 am
Iymnok wrote:
Which area?

Jerusalem

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 7:08 am
Bar Ilan/ hanavi
Hapisgah
Ramat Alon

There is a card above the seatbelt of the driver. It has the name and registration number of the driver. That and the driver's accent and look should give you decent evidence.

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 9:10 am
GetTaxi is terrific and the Mehadrin option gives you Jewish drivers only.
Depending on where you are in Jerusalem, some taxi companies may not shlep to the other side of town to pick you up.
eg: Ramot Alon won't necessarily dispatch to Rehavia.
Best to ask in the specific area you will be staying.
If you're out & about at a reasonable hour of the day, you should be able to find a taxi using Gett to return back to your home base.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 10:21 am
Thank you. We will be staying in Rechavia
Does anyone know how I can download the Gett Israel app on an American iPhone? The App Store will not let me do it. If I download the Gett NYC app, will it work on Israel? Do I need the app at all?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone know how I can download the Gett Israel app on an American iPhone? The App Store will not let me do it. If I download the Gett NYC app, will it work on Israel? Do I need the app at all?

I don't know but you could contact Gett here and ask.
http://gett.com/contact/

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:

If you want to order taxis and pay via CC you need the app.
You can probably download it in America but will you have a local SIM card when you are here?
If you will have a local phone number you can probably switch the settings once you arrive in Israel. I would contact Gett in advance and verify.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 2:14 pm
Gett is a weird name for a taxi. גט????

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Gett is a weird name for a taxi. גט????

It's called GetTaxi
People call it gett for short

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:53 am
Bar ilan is probably the biggest company with the most cars and they are literally all over the place.
I'm pretty sure moniyot rechavia is fine too. Though they may have Arab drivers I'm not sure.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:56 am
Smile1234 wrote:
Bar ilan is probably the biggest company with the most cars and they are literally all over the place.
I'm pretty sure moniyot rechavia is fine too. Though they may have Arab drivers I'm not sure.

Moniot Rehavia def has Arab drivers - everyone uses them for Shabbat hospital runs. But I lived in Rehavia for 4+ years and I never had a problem with any of their drivers.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 1:40 am
Jewish/Arab/Druze, the best way to protect yourself is to ask someone who knows the route, how much it should cost. Then, before you get in the taxi, tell the driver where you're going, and how much you are willing to pay. Once you know the standard fares, you are in control of the situation.

I once had a driver who wanted 60 for a short ride. I refused and he cursed me and drove off. Right behind him was another taxi. I told him 40, and he was happy to get it.

I took my daughter to the doctor, and a driver wanted to charge me double fare for two people. If we had gotten on or off at different stops, that would be different, but we were obviously together. I got DD out of the cab, handed the driver a single fare, and hopped out before there could be trouble. He yelled and cursed, but we just walked away.

Be very careful to be completely out of the cab BEFORE you pay, if you are feeling uncomfortable. Otherwise, when you have one foot on the pavement, the driver will start the car and practically drag you. It's pretty scary, and they do it to intimidate you.

Always let your kids out FIRST, and the sidewalk side of the street. If you're traveling without a man with you, you can pay the driver through his side window. He won't like it, but it's your right.

Watch out for drivers who want the full fare before you reach your destination. Under no circumstances pay him in advance! Just sit back, fold your arms, and say "Lo beseder, regah."

I'm not trying to scare you. 99.9 percent of the taxis I've taken have been safe and friendly, regardless of the ethnic background of the driver. Just like everywhere else in the world, there are always a few bad apples, and I hope my tips help you avoid them.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 2:40 am
I use Gett mehadrin - happy with it when it works. If not, call Bar Ilan, it's the biggest Jewish only taxi company.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:45 am
Anyone have the number for Bar Ilan? Thanks

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:50 am
amother wrote:
Anyone have the number for Bar Ilan? Thanks

02-586-6666

happy12

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 12:28 pm
is gett mehadrin a different app?

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 9:02 pm
happy12 wrote:
is gett mehadrin a different app?

No. It’s a feature of Gett

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:39 pm
Just wondering what's wrong with an Arab driver if it's a reputable taxi service? Would you avoid Arab taxi drivers in your home country as well?
About a third of Israeli citizens are Arabs, they have jobs like everyone else, you are likely to meet a few who work in shops, the medical field, gas stations and many as taxi drivers, especially in Yerushalayim.
They do not pose a security risk, at least not any more than they would in whatever Western country you are from.
I am pretty right wing politically, and I would advise to avoid taking a Palestinian cab obviously, but most people I know hop into any (licensed) cab they find.
Given a choice I'd prefer to give the parnassa to a fellow Jew, but can't think of any reason to actively seek a Jewish driver.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics